Tune in. Never miss
an important update!
Your Name
Your Email
Lipoma Board

In Search of Best Lipoma Treatment And Cure

What is Lipoma Board? A forum and community offering information, alternative treatments, resources and support concerning lipomas, lipomatosis and other related conditions. Surgery shouldn't be the only option! Lipomas are fatty tumors under the skin. Read more >>

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Triphala

Talking about Lipoma
PostPosted: 3/23/12 Friday, 1:06 pm 
I don't have lipoma (is it ok for me to post here?), but I'm in love with someone who has lots of them. I love my partner completely and truly, and they're not an issue for me, but we don't talk about them and I have questions.

We mentioned it once, but he just kind of squeaked out what was wrong and clammed up. I didn't want to push him, but I wish he would talk about it more, because I think it affects how he feels about his body, and I don't want him to ever feel bad.

It would really help me support him, if I understood more. Can you help with my questions?

• Should I encourage him to talk (we've been dating about 6 months now)? Would it make him feel worse if I brought it up?
  • What can I do to make him feel more comfortable about him body? He covers up lots and keeps the lights off (which is fine because I'm shy about my body too!), but I feel sad that he feels nervous.
  • Do lipoma have nerve endings? If touch his body will he feel it, will it be nice or painful? (sorry if that's too intimate, but I don't want to hurt him and him be too scared or worried to say, or him to be sad because he can't feel me)
  • Will some things make his lipoma painful? Should I avoid certain things or situations?
  • Is there anything I might do that could cause him to have more lipoma? e.g. foods, activities, any bumps or knocks.

I'm so glad I've found this place, thank you so much for educating me through the forums and pages.

Re: Talking about Lipoma
PostPosted: 3/23/12 Friday, 4:25 pm 
How lucky your loved one is to have you!

About touching the lipomas:

1) It hurts if they are pressed upon, for example, like if you have lipomas, and your child wants to sit in your lap,
unfortunately that can be painful.

2) I can say that just touching the lipomas doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't want them touched because that would draw attention to a part of me that I find embarrassing.

3) I am not lucky enough to have a significant other, my embarrassment regarding my lipomas keeps me from reaching out.
I find them to be disfiguring.

4) I can say that my brothers wife has made it clear to him that she finds him attractive, lipomas and all.
This means a lot to him. His first wife pressed him to have the lipomas removed, but this wife doesn't say that at all.
To him, that means that she accepts him as is.

Personally I hope to save enough money to get my lipomas removed if I can't get rid of them by a natural method, except that I know they will come back, because this is a chronic condition. There's a chemical inbalance or genetic situation here.

Thank you for coming to this board, PLEASE come back again!

PostPosted: 3/23/12 Friday, 4:28 pm 
Hello, thanks for posting! I am a guy in my early 20's with about 40 lipomas. Personally, my biggest fear is not being able to find a girl who will love me despite these bumps. It causes me to be very insecure. I imagine he is insecure as well and possibly thinks that bringing attention to them by talking about it will cause you to think less of him. The best thing you can do is let him know that you love him and you don't think less of him because of his lipomas. From my experience, they don't usually hurt. Sometimes when they're tiny and barely started forming they hurt a bit. Or if they get big enough to mess with nerve endings. The majority of mine don't hurt, although some people report very painful lipomas. You'll have to ask him if they're painful or not. Just let him know that these lipomas don't make you love him any less and that you would be happy to talk about them when he's comfortable. They might be making him fear that you think he's ugly, so he doesn't want to focus more attention on them. I would suggest being physically affectionate (hugs, etc) to comfort him and tell him that you love him and find him attractive despite the lipomas. There will be days when he's feeling fine and other days where he might be very down. There's good days and bad days with lipomas. Just be affectionate and understanding. Try to be patient, as it's sometimes difficult to cope with many lipomas.

Taking hot baths often makes the body less tense and helps with soreness. Not to be too personal but if you're at the stage of the relationship where you'd be comfortable with it, taking a hot bath with him (with the lights off if he wants) or a massage might be very comforting. I imagine that he's worried that focusing attention on them will cause you to be uncomfortable with him. I'm sure he cares about you very much and is afraid his lipomas will hurt the relationship. Be sure to let him know that this isn't the case.

Nobody really knows what causes them for sure, but there's very likely a genetic link. I would recommend exercise and a diet with low fat and sugar when possible. Lots of raw fruits and vegetables, and low fat milk that doesn't have artifical growth hormones. Also, there's a lot of scammers out there that claim to have lipoma cures. Be careful. There isn't one accepted by the medical community yet other than getting them cut out, unfortunately.

From my expereince, my lipomas make me very nervous and insecure about my body (especially around women) so I'm often hesitant to talk about them. Sometimes it's very depressing and can heavily damage your self-esteem. Let him know you care about him and love him despite the lipomas, and that when he's ready to talk about it you'll be there to listen.

Thank you for being a wonderful girlfriend to someone who is dealing with lipomas. Your story gives me hope that I'll find someone one day. :)

PostPosted: 3/23/12 Friday, 4:43 pm 
Lipoma Guru

Number of lipomas: 61-100
Hi there lovehislumps!

Interesting questions! Thanks for posting!

The answers are my own opinions (man, 33y, in a relationship):

Quote:
Should I encourage him to talk (we've been dating about 6 months now)? Would it make him feel worse if I brought it up?

I believe it would. The less he thinks you think about them the better. So unless he brings them up by himself, I would just let it be. He must know they most likely will multiply as they have already done during the years. And what is there to talk about? The possible treatments perhaps but unless you know something he doesn't already know I would just let it be.

Quote:
What can I do to make him feel more comfortable about him body? He covers up lots and keeps the lights off (which is fine because I'm shy about my body too!), but I feel sad that he feels nervous.

Yeah, it's terrible for us but luckily it's not a deadly disease. Still we hate our lumps from the bottom of our heart. We think they lessen the person who we really are. I wouldn't want to talk about them and I understand perfectly him silencing about the origin of it and stuff. The chances are he has studied lipomatosis and the fact is it's not very nice reading. Nobody cares too much about this disease because it's not life-threathening, pretty much meaning nobody will not do anything about it.

Since your relationship is in it's early stages do him a favor and just disregard the lipomas. You two live like they weren't there.

Quote:
Do lipoma have nerve endings? If touch his body will he feel it, will it be nice or painful? (sorry if that's too intimate, but I don't want to hurt him and him be too scared or worried to say, or him to be sad because he can't feel me)

Some do, some don't. Some lipomas can be extremely painful and hurt even without any touching. Some lipomas don't mind whether they were rubbed all day long. But I'm sure he will rather have a little pain than to see you avoiding him ;)

The chances are he doesn't feel a thing.

Quote:
Will some things make his lipoma painful? Should I avoid certain things or situations?

I personally have more pain in my lipomas after heavy drinking or junk food but other than those no. I assume he doesn't have Dercum's disease which is an extreme version of lipomatosis and the lipomas are hurting like hell. But there are also other problems so you would know it by now.

Quote:
Is there anything I might do that could cause him to have more lipoma? e.g. foods, activities, any bumps or knocks.

The truth is we don't know what cause lipomas. We have good guesses but nothing definitive. Does his relatives have lipomas? It's pretty common in the cases of lipomatosis. Some call it genetic heredity, but I myself am not so sure about it.

Personally I have developed dozens of lipomas to the exact spots where I previously had a trauma (bruising). Of course this hasn't happened everytime I have had bruises but enough times so that I'm quite certain there's a connection. And I don't think that it's the only way a lipoma can develop either.

But if I was him I would avoid activities which would most likely cause bruising, like boxing or kick boxing. But please don't ask him to stop of doing any exercise! It's quite clear that a moderate exercise helps to slow down the tumor growth as well as eating healthy.

I try to avoid also anything that's generally bad for me but I'm a human being so some junk food here and a little beer there is ok... ;)

Remember, you are a lucky person not having to deal with these lumps yourself! We all others wish there would one sweet day be a treatment option (other than surgery) which would eliminate our buggerers for good. Thus this board.

Thanks for stopping by, be sure to check it every once and a while if there's anything new happening in the field!

Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: 3/23/12 Friday, 5:06 pm 
Oh also, do you mind if I ask you a question? :) Do you think most women would be bothered by lipomas on a guy? Or do women care less about appearances and things like that than guys do? I know these questions require huge generalizations, sorry. Just curious about what you think, as you're dating a guy with lipomas.

PostPosted: 3/30/12 Friday, 7:25 am 
Thank you so much for your help and advice, it's helped me to stop worrying. Now I know there's no risk of me harming him or making things worse I'm just going to get on with loving him.

And Bill - I'm not sure about all women, because I'm just one person, but I think if you're in love then nothing can get in the way. Easy for me to say, but I wouldn't let it stop you enjoying dating and romance, if they'll walk away over a few hundred lipoma then they weren't worth having in the first place.

Thank you sooooo much, I'm going back to bed for a cuddle before work!

PostPosted: 9/14/12 Friday, 11:38 am 
Regular

It is comforting that someone isn't bothered by their partner having multiple lipomas. :) I guess that's the biggest concern with this condition - we are afraid that we're not worth loving or a relationship when we have tumors on our bodies. Otherwise lipomatosis doesn't affect our lives that much tbh (at least if it's not painful). It only affects our appearance from the neck down and we can cover it up with clothes outside our homes.

I hope that my partner would be as tolerant if I go on to get many more lipomas. I know I would love him even if he got many of them, but then I don't know how I would feel if I came from a family without lipomatosis. Also I think it's somewhat easier to accept if a man has them (i.e. it doesn't affect 'manliness' that much) than if a woman does, though on the other hand women have more fat tissue in general, so lipomas might not be as noticeable on women (maybe, I don't know?).

Thanks for starting this thread, anyway. It was a nice read :) The only sad thing was to read how your partner is ashamed and bothered by his body. I hope you can make him feel better about himself.

PostPosted: 10/6/12 Saturday, 10:29 pm 
Very down about my lipomas today. Seems that in a week they have grown massively as well as sprouted in new places. Can't describe what it's like to people who don't have it. I'm 32 year old guy and single and it's devouring my self confidence. I'm waiting for the latest one to pop up on my neck or some place equally visible. I don't know really I guess I just wanted to share this with someone. At the moment im in the US for a few weeks with work and I'm feeling extremely alone in this. Thanks for reading if you made it this far

PostPosted: 10/6/12 Saturday, 10:55 pm 
Lipoma Guru

Number of lipomas: 61-100
Dude, we hear you! Please try not to let it get to you too badly. Many of us here with 100+ lipomas share a life with the significant other. I know it's frustrating and feels uncomfortable. Please at least consider some alternative treatments if you wish not go through operations. Some of us have noticed that some alternative treatments may slow down the growth. Unfortunally we do not yet know any treatment which would work 100% for everyone but we are trying hard!

P.S. You are not alone.

Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!

PostPosted: 10/6/12 Saturday, 11:45 pm 
I know. Just feels like its accelerating so fast I can't keep justifying how insignificant they are fast enough. Everything I feel an irritation I'm searching for a little bump. The ones I have ache from being examined for increases. It's the unknown, the feeling of uncertainty that's the worst. Just struggling with the mental side of these this past week.

PostPosted: 10/7/12 Sunday, 12:00 am 
I'm around your age (a couple years older), and struggle with these things as well. The mental part is really hard. I feel blessed that I have a wife who dated me throughout the onset of these things and the rapid growth of them (in the 100+) club, and who everyday loves me unconditionally. I just want to encourage you that there are women out there like this.

I've had a tough week with these things as well, but stay hopeful. As Matt said, you're not alone.

PostPosted: 12/28/15 Monday, 8:39 am 
Thanks guys. New bump on my forearm this morning and my legs are tingling all over. Feel miles from home today! Has anyone and many of these surgically removed?

PostPosted: 8/23/17 Wednesday, 4:24 pm 

Hi
I'd like to ask you how many of you having multiples lipomas feel low and depressed because of it? How do you cope mentally with it? Do you resign from going to swimming pool or sauna or other public venues where you "expose" your body?
I'm 39 and have 30-35 give or take lipomas and recently my mind is full of thoughts about these bumps. I started some diet 1,5 month ago expecting some at least small results. Very often I'm depressed and angry at my fate. I also avoid swimming pool, beaches or sauna. When changing clothes before a gym I also try to do it quickly and prefer not to be seen by anybody.
What's your approach to it?