Tune in. Never miss
an important update!
Your Name
Your Email
Lipoma Board

An Ongoing Search For Lipoma Treatment And Lipoma Cure

What is Lipoma Board? A forum and community offering information, alternative treatments, resources and support concerning lipomas, lipomatosis and other related conditions. Surgery shouldn't be the only option! Lipomas are fatty tumors under the skin. Read more >>

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Triphala

Print view | E-mail friend

Dr. Karen Herbst Just Published New Studies
PostPosted: 2/16/12 Thursday, 7:54 am 
Master Member

Number of lipomas: 61-100
Dr. Karen Herbst is propably the most familiar medical doctors on earth ATM when it comes to adipose tissue (fat tissue) and the abnormalities.

There are two (1, 2) recently (Feb 2012) published studies available in Pubmed by Dr. Karen Herbst. Both talk about the fact that in RADs (Rare Adipose Disorder) the accumulation of fat is not simply because of obesity but that the origin is different.

E.g. in Dercum's disease one may have accumulations of fat which could be confused with normal obesity gained by lifestyle selections.

She also wants to highlight that sometimes RADs masquerade as obesity and she states:

Quote:
Although lifestyle changes and bariatric surgery work effectively for the obesity component of RADs, these treatments do not routinely reduce the abnormal subcutaneous adipose tissue (SAT) of RADs. RAD SAT likely results from the growth of a brown stem cell population with secondary lymphatic dysfunction in MSL, or by primary vascular and lymphatic dysfunction in lipedema and DD. People with RADs do not lose SAT from caloric limitation and increased energy expenditure alone.

Ok, that's pretty self-evident for the most of us but it's good to have it now in Pubmed too.

She proposes somekind of diagnostic criteria, histology and pathophysiology for RADs to separate them from normal obesity.

Her treatments include lymphatic decongestive therapy, medications and supplements that support loss of RAD SAT (abnormal fat).

The basis of lymphatic decongestive therapy is that when the lymphatic system is blocked, infection-fighting material is prevented from destroying toxins and germs. Cell-nourishing material is prevented from reaching the blood stream. The end result is that germs grow, our blood loses needed protein, and infectious diseases could potentially affect you.

The lymphatic system is primarily responsible for carrying disease-fighting material to cells attacked by germs, transporting the dead germs away and supplying protein-rich plasma fluid back to the heart. When this system is blocked, we become defenseless against attacks by virus, fungi, and bacteria.

Matt has dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. Has tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. Open to any bit of information. Matt's lipoma prevention supplements. Matt uses Emu oil for scars. Latest test with Triphala.

Report this post
 Profile Send private message  

Re: Dr. Karen Herbst Just Published New Studies
PostPosted: 2/16/12 Thursday, 10:58 am 

Great news!

The provisional PDF http://www.lipidworld.com/content/pdf/1476-511X-11-19.pdf

Last edited by matt on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks! :)

Report this post

PostPosted: 2/16/12 Thursday, 8:20 pm 
Junior

Number of lipomas: 100+
sorry for being a bit thick here but does that report mean that we are not breaking down all fats , bad ones and good ones, and protiens are not reaching are muscles correctly

Report this post

PostPosted: 2/17/12 Friday, 7:44 am 
Master Member

Number of lipomas: 61-100
Hi spiremark,

I'm not quite sure I'm following you? The report is about Madelungs disease (= multiple symmetric lipomatosis = benign symmetric lipomatosis), Familial multiple lipomatosis and Dercum's disease. My opinion is that we can make some common conclusions between all of the related illnesses. I guess I have to read the paper again but maybe you could point out the parts which make you think so.

The study shows there are differences between the fat tissue of RAD (rare adipose disorder) persons and the control fat tissue. The metabolism is different. The main objective is that RAD persons have fat tissue which is not due to the obesity gained by the lifestyle. So fat deposits are accumulating regardless of e.g. how hard you exercise.

I'm not opposing you, I just didn't quite get your post because I'm not a medical person.

Matt has dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. Has tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. Open to any bit of information. Matt's lipoma prevention supplements. Matt uses Emu oil for scars. Latest test with Triphala.

Report this post

PostPosted: 2/17/12 Friday, 6:53 pm 
Junior

Hi Matt,

Having looked again, there is a difference between obese people amd fml ( which is good and i think we all know that except the doctors) my concerns are no matter what fatty acids we take our metabolism does not breakdown and use the Amino acids in the correct way... so is the good fat not being used by the body in the correct way and may this also be contributing towards the lumps.

this report is probally way above my head

cheers

Report this post

PostPosted: 2/17/12 Friday, 10:06 pm 

I'll try to break down some of it to make it easier to understand when i get some time early next month (if someone else won't do it before me that is).

Report this post

PostPosted: 2/18/12 Saturday, 5:40 am 
Junior

I get a bit embarrassed about my lack of experience on computers and writing to go public at times.

I am not sure but what we have is a metabolic condition where the liver and kidneys are not functioning correctly, perhaps similar to diabetes.
When the body stops growing the liver and kidneys should send fatty acids(good and bad) around the body to do what they should do, IE build muscle, give us energy, healthy skin or even that perfectly lovable beer belly, but not those dam lumps.
This report points to what we already suspected

Report this post

PostPosted: 2/18/12 Saturday, 4:58 pm 

Dont be embarassed. At least you are trying to understand things. Anybody judging you should be embarassed. I ve written some things that Im not proud of ,but who cares? This is a mystery to all of us ( except Darryl) so keep asking questions

Report this post