Tune in. Never miss
an important update!
Your Name
Your Email
Lipoma Board

In Search of Best Lipoma Treatment And Cure

What is Lipoma Board? A forum and community offering information, alternative treatments, resources and support concerning lipomas, lipomatosis and other related conditions. Surgery shouldn't be the only option! Lipomas are fatty tumors under the skin. Read more >>

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Triphala

Lipoma and weight training
PostPosted: 9/3/11 Saturday, 6:26 pm 
Hi guys

I thought I would share my experiences with you regarding lipoma and weight training as I am convinced there is a link though this is not apparently recognized by doctors. I have seen references to it on online forums though.

I have under 10 lipomas which I think have all been caused through weights. I am mid 40s but got my first and largest lipoma age 18 after exercising. That was pre-internet and there was little information around. I didn't believe the doc's diagnosis of lipoma at the time as I felt it must be bleeding into the tissue or scarring. I noticed three more across my stomach in my mid-20s and felt they were related to high volume situps. Once you start looking for them you find more and I also identified a couple under my back muscle at the side of the body (lats for those that also do weights : ) In my late 30s I started serious weight training again but developed a lipoma in the serratus area. The funny thing was I felt a pain and itching at the time, and sure enough one appeared shortly after at that site. I felt very undermined by this as what I had suspected for years appeared to be true and I stopped doing weights for a while. I then developed a way of exercising that didn't appear to produce more lipomas - basically whole body exercises such as overhead squats rather than targeting a specific area such as lats with lat pulldowns. Static exercises such as leg raises could also be done for stomach instead of situps. This is what I would recommend to anyone with a similar problem. I got careless more recently and after doing deadlifts discovered another two lipomas - one on my spine and one next to it.

All the time I half thought these lipomas were due to herniated fascia or scarring, or something similar. Recently, however, they were ultrasounded because they cause intermittent pain, and I was told that they are typical lipomas. I am going to have some of them cut out when waiting lists allow and it will be very interesting to see whether they are indeed typical lipomas or herniated fat or something else.

Although I have heard that lipomas can be caused by trauma, I have had significant trauma to arms and torso through martial arts but never developed a lipoma that way. I have had bleeding into muscle and tissue causing permanent swelling - as recently identified by the ultrasound - but no resulting lipoma. I have not developed any lipomas on my legs though I have done quite a lot of running.

I am writing this down in the hope that it is of interest to someone who has had similar problems. I know a lot of you reading this have been affected much worse and I feel for you. Lipomas affect quality of life, even if there are only a few. I have found that If I am careful there are still exercises that I can do. But I know everyone is different and what works for me may not work for others.

Maybe of interest, as I see people on these boards and others discussing likely causes, diet, etc. is I have been a vegetarian since I was in my mid-teens (no meat or fish), so being vegetarian has not helped. When I got my first lipoma I was not drinking alcohol. I have not drunk alcohol for the last 14 months or so but developed a lipoma during that period. I have had a very healthy lifestyle with regular exercise my whole life and an above average amount of organic food.

I think that diet may be a factor but it is such a huge area with so many possibilities that I would not know where to start. I am very sceptical about herbal cures as I think that if they really worked, more people would be using them. It can't hurt to drink green tea though : ) One thing I thought was funny was how pet owners seem to be the most concerned about lipomas on their pets, and they are taken very seriously. Interestingly, pet owners seem to get advised that lipomas may be due to bad diet or something. It seems reasonable to me.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I will report back to the board after I have my operation (the waiting list is several months).

Thank you for running this board.

Best regards

Anon114 (sorry, don't really want to use my real name as this is personal)

Re: Lipoma and weight training
PostPosted: 9/3/11 Saturday, 7:45 pm 
Regular

Number of lipomas: 61-100
Thank you for sharing that! And Laura Roslin is my pseudonym. health issues are very personal!

Your recommendation of alternate excercises is interesting.

I wonder if Yoga would be good?

No need to share your name. Handles are helpful though.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: 10/10/11 Monday, 1:58 am 
Hi "Laura" : )

Thank you for your reply. I think Yoga is okay provided it is approached gradually and there is no over exertion. I got one lipoma in my back following a yoga injury, after being too ambitious. It is possible to cause damage with Yoga if you overdo it. Generally though, static exercises such as Yoga seem to be better, especially if the load is spread over the whole body or several muscle groups, rather than a focused area.

Anon114 (not such a good pseudonym as yours : )

PostPosted: 2/24/12 Friday, 11:00 am 
Hi again guys

I finally had my surgery yesterday. I had four cut out - three on abdomen and one on my back. I get the dressings removed in a week so won't know what the result is like till them. Here are some observations and info which I hope others find of interest.

One lipoma which the surgeon thought small on external examination actually looked a lot bigger when it was taken out (to my eyes anyway).

The surgeon didn't think there was any link between weight training and my lipomas (I think there is a link).

The lipomas on my abdomen were more unpleasant to have removed than the one on my back though that was a lot bigger than those on my front.

One of the lipomas (the one that caused me intermittent pain and was the main reason I went to see a doctor after putting up with it for more than 20 years) was difficult and painful to remove. It was deeper than they expected and required more local anaesthetic half way through. Ouch! I think in retrospect I should have had this removed when it first started causing pain.

Surgery was a bit more physical than I expected. I had the idea that after the incision was made the lipoma could be sort of popped out or squeezed out. This was not the case - there was a lot of tugging and cutting going on - it felt like quite a rough procedure and going on right in the centre of my chest was quite unpleasant.

However, apart from the lipoma which was deeper than expected, which was painful afterwards, the straightforward ones have given me very little post operation discomfort and it's a lot less than 24 hours after the op. I took painkillers last night and that was all I needed. I don't think I'll need them again. I had a lot more post op discomfort when I had a mole removed several years ago.

(this for people in the UK) the surgeon told me it could cost between £100 to £500 to have a lipoma removed privately, depending on who does it. In the UK lipomas won't generally be done under the NHS.

I am going to stop doing deadlifts (or reduce the intensity) as I think his caused the new lipoma next to my spine. At some stage I will have this lipoma cut out privately.

I have four other lipomas which don't cause pain and I am going to leave them alone. If they get bigger or become painful I will have them cut out immediately.

But I don't get why lipomas are thought to be cosmetic only. To people who don't have them, I say ithe painful ones are like having a stone in your shoe. Everyone stops to get rid of the stone so they can walk without discomfort. When I saw the size and mass of the big one on my back I felt very well justified in having it removed. I should have had it taken out 20 something years ago despite it being "just a lipoma".

Even if they are cosmetic only, of course people would still want them removed.

To anyone reading this, I wish you all the best in dealing with your lipomas.

PostPosted: 2/24/12 Friday, 12:13 pm 
Lipoma Guru

Thank you for the update and very informatic post! I enjoyed reading it. I'm happy you got rid of those nasty buggerers! :twisted:

I agree it's sometimes difficult to estimate the size of the lipoma just by palpating it. The one removed from my thigh also looked a lot bigger cut out than I had thought it was.

I also agree with you that if there's a lipoma that is causing extreme pain you should have it cut out. Why suffer? Of course if you have dozens of painful lipomas the thing is a little more complicated than that.

I too have a hard time understanding why insurances aren't covering lipomas straight away. Luckily there's an option. You must always complain that your lipoma hurts eventhough it really wouldn't. The insurance companies are more likely to cover lipomas which cause pain than those that do not.

Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!

PostPosted: 2/24/12 Friday, 1:52 pm 
Glad you enjoyed it Matt. I'll post again to this board if I have anything more of interest. Thank you for responding.

PostPosted: 2/24/12 Friday, 5:43 pm 
I lifted weights heavily for 10 yrs. before getting my first lipoma. I'm not sure if there is a correlation...

PostPosted: 2/24/12 Friday, 7:53 pm 
Hi Ryan

I really wish there was no correlation but for me I'm pretty sure there is and I have adjusted the way I train accordingly. It's quite possible that for you there is no correlation - certainly this is what the doctors would say and in support of this there are probably millions of people working out all over the world, none of whom get lipomas as a result. No one knows what causes lipomas, and ultimately all we can do is trust our own instincts. Good luck.

PostPosted: 4/8/12 Sunday, 10:44 pm 
Hi Anon114,
I had the same experience as you! I was 18 when I first started working out in the gym and some time later noticed my first lipoma. I did not realise that there was a correlation so continued with my work out and sure enough a few more appeared.
Since then lipomas have appeared at regular intervals. Am 32 now and have around 40-50 of those. Haven't been regular with the exercises all throughout this 14 year period but have noticed that whenever I have trained at the gym the lipomas have appeared very soon afterwards!

Having said that some have grown even when I wasn't exercising , so there is definitely other reason(s) for their appearance but for sure weight training has increased the counts whenever I've trained..

A special thanks to Matt for starting/moderating as there is a wealth of information on this site. Even though there isn't a cure at present these discussions give a lot of support and hope!

PostPosted: 4/8/12 Sunday, 11:26 pm 
Anon114 wrote:
Hi Ryan

No one knows what causes lipomas, and ultimately all we can do is trust our own instincts. Good luck.

One of the urban myths on lipomas: "No one knows what causes them." Environmental scientists know exactly what causes hurricanes, but they still can't stop them. So it is a very different question whether something is understood versus being curable.

On lifting weights--five year olds don't lift weights and they don't get lipomas. 17 year olds start lifting weights and 17 year olds start to get lipomas. The rooster crows, and then the sun rises. But the rooster doesn't cause the sun to rise. I had a knee pain at the same time that I worked in a brown office. But the brown office did not cause my knee pain.

17 year olds who lift weights but do not have the lipoma mutation do not get common lipomatosis. 17 year olds with the lipoma mutation do get tumors, whether or not they lift weights.

PostPosted: 4/10/12 Tuesday, 6:59 am 
Lipoma Guru

Hi,

I don't believe lifting weights is the root cause. As a matter of fact I currently believe it's because of the light exercising that my lipomas are developing extremely slow and are pretty small.

But I do watch out not to hurt myself. I mean I do not lower the weights hard on my body to prevent anykinds of external traumas from happening. I have a lipoma on my chest at the very exact spot where I used to lowered the bench press bar. I had the habit of lowering the bar hard on my chest and sometimes I noticed bruising at the exact spot where there's now a lipoma.

If it was just this one incident I might say it is simply a coincidence but I have at least a dozen lipomas at locations where I previously had traumas and bruising. So I know there's a connection.

Oh, and I should emphasize that I definitely do not see the connection everytime. Of course I have had also traumas which are not followed by lipomas. Why it happens only every now and then, I have no clue.

Now, during heavy weight training it is possible to cause internal traumas which could somehow induce lipomas. Maybe this is the connection many are looking for?

Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!

PostPosted: 4/12/12 Thursday, 2:57 pm 
Lipoma Guru

Here some facts to support my last post:

And there are many more.

The last link I posted concludes:

Quote:
The pathogenetic link between soft tissue trauma and the formation of posttraumatic lipomas is still controversially discussed. There are 2 potential explanations to correlate soft tissue trauma and adipose tissue tumor growth. The first is the formation of so-called posttraumatic pseudolipomas by prolapsing adipose tissue through fascia resulting from direct impact. A second possibility points toward lipoma formation as a result of preadipocyte differentiation and proliferation mediated by cytokine release following soft tissue trauma and hematoma formation.

Oh, and they can stop the controversial discussion. Traumas can cause lipomas - I'm living proof of it (I'm not sure if all my lipomas have born after a trauma but many sure have).

PostPosted: 4/13/12 Friday, 3:16 am 
matt wrote:
Here some facts to support my last post:

And there are many more.

The last link I posted concludes:

Quote:
The pathogenetic link between soft tissue trauma and the formation of posttraumatic lipomas is still controversially discussed. There are 2 potential explanations to correlate soft tissue trauma and adipose tissue tumor growth. The first is the formation of so-called posttraumatic pseudolipomas by prolapsing adipose tissue through fascia resulting from direct impact. A second possibility points toward lipoma formation as a result of preadipocyte differentiation and proliferation mediated by cytokine release following soft tissue trauma and hematoma formation.

Oh, and they can stop the controversial discussion. Traumas can cause lipomas - I'm living proof of it (I'm not sure if all my lipomas have born after a trauma but many sure have).

It has long been known that traumas can cause "lipomas". And by "trauma" I mean that in most cases these are people in car accidents, not people resting a weight bar on themselves. But these "lipomas" or "psuedolipomas" are not the same thing that most people on this board suffer from. They are one offs. The problem here is use of the broad term "lipoma" to cover very different things. Did you know that "lipomas" can be found in the brain? But those "lipomas" are absolutely unrelated to the common lipomas that most on this board have. So it doesn't help most people reading this board to learn about what causes lipomas in the brain. It is irrelevant to common lipomatosis. MSL, Dercums, solitary lipomas caused by trauma, congenital lipoma on the brain---all have nothing to do with common lipomatosis.

PostPosted: 4/13/12 Friday, 6:02 am 
Lipoma Guru

Quote:
not people resting a weight bar on themselves

Dear Guest,

I believe you are the same "Guest" who has have some strong opinions here before.

You can say what you want but if you develop bruising somewhere and are prone to lipomatosis - a lipoma may develop. This has happened to me zillion times. There's is no need for car accidents. They are not one offs no matter how much you insist.

And like I said before. I most likely do have also lipomas that were not caused by bruising or anykind of trauma.

I'm not the one to say what causes the brain lipomas and is there somekind of a differential process behind it. Something makes me believe that neither are you. We can have opinions and ideas about it but neither one of us really knows, right?

Please do not state things as if they were proven facts if you do not present scientific evidence of anykind! Thanks.

P.S. Could you please register since you seem to have a lot of opinions and insight so it would be easier for everyone to follow you?

PostPosted: 4/13/12 Friday, 9:55 am 
matt wrote:
Quote:
not people resting a weight bar on themselves

I'm not the one to say what causes the brain lipomas and is there somekind of a differential process behind it. Something makes me believe that neither are you. We can have opinions and ideas about it but neither one of us really knows, right?

Matt: I didn't personally discover what causes brain lipomas, but I can cite what is published in medical textbooks such as those that I have previously listed. Those books are a better source of information than the research articles that you sometimes post because the articles are often specific research studies not intended to explain common lipomatosis. As I mentioned previously, there are also generally accepted treatment guidelines (aka "practice guidelines").

There is absolutely no uncertainty as to what causes brain lipomas. It is a congenital defect, occurring as the fetus develops in the womb. This process, like other congenital defects, is obvious from imaging and so there is absolutely no controversy as to whether this is related to common lipomatosis. Your medical doctor would know this, so just ask him/her.

More generally, I don't know why more posters don't ask their doctors these questions. Is it because people assume that if there is no cure then that means that doctors are completely clueless even about basic issues such as whether brain lipoma is related to common lipomatosis? Or don't they have medical insurance coverage? Or are they reluctant to ask their doctors these questions?

PostPosted: 4/13/12 Friday, 10:01 am 

Quote:
Those books are a better source of information than the research articles that you sometimes post because the articles are often specific research studies not intended to explain common lipomatosis. As I mentioned previously, there are also generally accepted treatment guidelines (aka "practice guidelines").

If your purpose is to educate rather than just proving points, please, when you cite sources also state book title, chapter and page. It is so much easier this way.

PostPosted: 4/13/12 Friday, 11:11 am 
Lipoma Guru

Guest,

It's great you have respect towards the medical community. I'm happy for you. But many of us on this board have lost atleast some of it for different reasons.

Most of the people who visit this board have already asked their doctors about lipomas. The answers given have many times been way too general and oblivious. If you have ever asked doctors about lipomas you should know. On the other hand if you are a doctor, then the answer might be the other way around. Doctors do think they know more. It's human and many times they do.

But please get it in to your head already that doctors are no Gods. They read the same books what you are providing to us. They do not somehow know more just because they are doctors.

I do support the idea that if you are suspicious about your lump you should go and see a doctor. When you are certain you have a lipoma and want to know more than the doctor can tell you - come back.

Most people come to this board and share ideas because the doctors couldn't give them. So it's kind of pointless to ask them to see the doctors again, don't you think? It's like hitting your head against the brick wall. Not very nice in the long run... :roll:

I try to respect doctors but after seeing way too many of them I have started to lose my respect. Too many times my questions have been too difficult for them to answer. Even the simple ones to which you can easily find the answer from the internet.

And what it comes to any form of lipomatosis, even your so-called "common lipomatosis", I know more about it than ANY of the doctors I've personally seen. All of them must be X-files wackos, right? But that's because I'm interested of it and I do not know any other doctor in the world except Dr. Herbst who is actually investigating lipomatosis. And I'm not saying there isn't any, I just don't know them and those would be the ones that would perhaps know something. Not the ordinary common doctors. ;)

I have already ordered the books you provided so I will try to read them through, as you requested. I doubt I will find anything too revealing from them but I will keep my mind open.

BTW you did not explain how brain lipomas develop. You explained they are present from the very early on. I'm afraid that's not an explanation why the defect occured in the first place...

I think your purpose is not to educate people. Almost all your posts include the message "do not do the research, trust your doctors, they know what's good for you, eat the pills, stay dumb".

Not too supporting, huh?

Oh, and we are also now drifting too far away from the original title. So once again - yes - weight training may indirectly induce lipomas!

PostPosted: 4/14/12 Saturday, 1:37 am 
matt wrote:
Guest,

It's great you have respect towards the medical community. I'm happy for you. But many of us on this board have lost atleast some of it for different reasons.

Most of the people who visit this board have already asked their doctors about lipomas. The answers given have many times been way too general and oblivious. If you have ever asked doctors about lipomas you should know. On the other hand if you are a doctor, then the answer might be the other way around. Doctors do think they know more. It's human and many times they do.

But please get it in to your head already that doctors are no Gods. They read the same books what you are providing to us. They do not somehow know more just because they are doctors.

I do support the idea that if you are suspicious about your lump you should go and see a doctor. When you are certain you have a lipoma and want to know more than the doctor can tell you - come back.

Most people come to this board and share ideas because the doctors couldn't give them. So it's kind of pointless to ask them to see the doctors again, don't you think? It's like hitting your head against the brick wall. Not very nice in the long run... :roll:

I try to respect doctors but after seeing way too many of them I have started to lose my respect. Too many times my questions have been too difficult for them to answer. Even the simple ones to which you can easily find the answer from the internet.

And what it comes to any form of lipomatosis, even your so-called "common lipomatosis", I know more about it than ANY of the doctors I've personally seen. All of them must be X-files wackos, right? But that's because I'm interested of it and I do not know any other doctor in the world except Dr. Herbst who is actually investigating lipomatosis. And I'm not saying there isn't any, I just don't know them and those would be the ones that would perhaps know something. Not the ordinary common doctors. ;)

I have already ordered the books you provided so I will try to read them through, as you requested. I doubt I will find anything too revealing from them but I will keep my mind open.

BTW you did not explain how brain lipomas develop. You explained they are present from the very early on. I'm afraid that's not an explanation why the defect occured in the first place...

I think your purpose is not to educate people. Almost all your posts include the message "do not do the research, trust your doctors, they know what's good for you, eat the pills, stay dumb".

Not too supporting, huh?

Oh, and we are also now drifting too far away from the original title. So once again - yes - weight training may indirectly induce lipomas!

Matt: Your answer does help solve a puzzle for me. You are saying that people do ask their doctors about their lipomas, but receive unsatisfactory answers. That is interesting. So then they ultimately give up on listening to their doctors, and turn to people selling the latest herb or whatever. So there is a total communication breakdown.

When my car breaks down, I take it to an auto mechanic. When my plumbing breaks I call a plumber. This doesn't mean that I think auto mechanics or plumbers are gods. I just think they know more about their specialty than I do. If my computer breaks, I am not saying a magic spell over it or spraying herbs on it--I call an IT specialist.

I wonder if the type of doctor care varies by country. Do doctors interact with their patients' differently in different countries? Or maybe doctors have different knowledge of lipoma in different countries? This does help me understand some of the comments of people on the board. And it is a little sad to me.

Short answer to your question about lipoma on the brain--as the brain of a fetus forms, there is some tissue that in normal development gets pushed to the outside of the head. For a fetus developing lipoma on the brain, this tissue gets folded under and locked inside. I know that is not a very precise description--but you can see the point that this is completely unrelated to common lipomatosis.

Regarding the requests that I cite chapters and pages of textbooks in my posts: If it makes it simpler for you, just treat my posts like another opinion you read here. Many people post about taking herbs, etc. and they do not post scientific studies. You can just hold me to that same standard and you are free to deem my posts as just my unfounded opinion.

My purpose in posting was to help people who are receptive to information, not to persuade people. Readers can decide whether or not they feel the information that I am sharing is credible. But I won't take the time to cite pages of textbooks and frankly I don't have pages memorized. For example, I can remember the photo of the defective fetus brain forming but it is not easy for me to describe.

PostPosted: 4/14/12 Saturday, 10:31 am 

Guest wrote:
I wonder if the type of doctor care varies by country. Do doctors interact with their patients' differently in different countries? Or maybe doctors have different knowledge of lipoma in different countries? This does help me understand some of the comments of people on the board. And it is a little sad to me.

A bit off topic but, yes i think doctor care varies from country to country... I believe It has to do with the way in which the doctor gets paid and the type and magnitude of "authority" given to the doctor by the state. It is the same as every other profession. But then again this is my subjective opinion. And talking about opinions... This forum is not about politics to let "readers decide whether or not they feel the information that we share is credible". When talking about scientific matters good references help more than rhetoric in point proving.

PostPosted: 4/15/12 Sunday, 7:44 am 
Lipoma Guru

Dear Guest,

yes, your decription of brain lipoma is very general. I do not know whether it has anything to do with other lipomas but I would be anxious to think so as it has the word "lipoma" in it. Or are medical doctors so stupid they call everykind of a lump as a lipoma?

I do appreciate you posting but your style of delivering the message is very authorative which in my case needs some backing up and referencies. I do think the level of doctors knowlidge varies as does the doctors own opinions about their knowlidge.

I hope you aren't so immature in everything that you have to rely on professionals everytime? I mean sometimes you can actually repair your car by yourself as well as your computer. This is especially true if you know more about the situation than the pro, don't you think?