Tune in. Never miss
an important update!
Your Name
Your Email
Lipoma Board

In Search of Best Lipoma Treatment And Cure

What is Lipoma Board? A forum and community offering information, alternative treatments, resources and support concerning lipomas, lipomatosis and other related conditions. Surgery shouldn't be the only option! Lipomas are fatty tumors under the skin. Read more >>

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Triphala

lipoma surgery
PostPosted: 8/13/11 Saturday, 11:43 pm 

Hi , new user here. I used to visit the old board occasionally years ago. Glad to see this new one - thanks to those responsible!
My question is for those who have had lipoma surgery. I think I want to try it.
Did you have local or general anesthesia?
How long did the procedure take?
Outpatient?
What about the cost? Did insurance cover it?
What was recovery time?
Did you have much pain?
thanks in advance
- dave

Profile Send private message  

Re: lipoma surgery
PostPosted: 8/14/11 Sunday, 5:14 pm 
I had lipoma surgery done years ago by a cosmetic surgeon.
I actually was put to sleep while the surgery was done.
Lipomas were removed from my forearms.
The incisions were very thin and fine.
Butterfly tape was used to keep the incisions closed.
I didn't feel anything during surgery, and felt relief afterwards!

I have very very faint while lines as scars. These appear only as a color.
The only indentation I have is over an area where a large lipoma was removed.

If you have the lipomas removed when they are small, the scarring may be almost invisible, if done by a cosmetic surgeon.

Some of the lipomas came back years later. Still I would do it again. The relief was worth it.

My insurance wasn't going to pay. My doctor wrote them a letter saying he couldn't treat their patients if they didn't approve
payment for my surgery. Then they agreed.

My lipomas were not just unsightly, they were painful.

I dont' have insurance now, so I am saving money up to have more surgery done.

Here's some helpful reading, more current than my experience:

Lipoma understanding, management and prevention.
(a commenter describes her surgery experience)
http://isetts.com/node/43

Lipoma Removal
At real self, a cosmetic surgery website, very helpful and costs of surgery can also be found.
(Some say as low as $100 a lump, and others also say that rates can be adjusted if you have multiple lipomas removed)
http://www.realself.com/question/lipoma

Non surgical: Injectable Collagenase reduced lipoma by 93% an average
(a topic on this board)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4

Lipoma Remedies (the comments show that there aren't really any natural remedies at this time for lipomas. some remedies posted are dangerous. But the anecdotal comments are helpful in learning how others are affected)
http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/lipoma.html

Dermotology Online Journal
Familial Multiple lipomatosis
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/94/NYU/Jan2002/2.html

PostPosted: 8/16/11 Tuesday, 5:45 am 

Thanks, Laura, for all the great info!
My lipomas are in many places (arms, legs, stomach, bottom), but it's ones in the forearms that I hate the most. Glad to hear you had a pretty good experience.

PostPosted: 8/17/11 Wednesday, 6:25 pm 
Regular

socal dave,

i guess you hate the one on your forearms becuase you cant wear a t-shirt and not feel ashamed?

i too have some on my fore arms and the other spots you wrote, i toke out one lipoma from my wrist, there the scars are barely visible,

but the scarring on my back and legs are no good..., nasty red/purple scars that are visible.... almst just as bad....=S

PostPosted: 8/17/11 Wednesday, 9:45 pm 

Yes, Durable, you got it exactly right. I wish I could wear short sleeved shirts and not have people stare at my arms or ask what's wrong. (not that I blame them).
I know there's no guarantee of "good" scars, but I think I'm willing to take that chance.
Do you regret having the ones on your back and legs done?

I have 6 or 7 very obvious ones on the right forearm and 3 or 4 on the left (one of which is pretty big). I'm thinking of trying to have one arm at a time done. If that goes well, maybe others, but those are the ones that matter to me most.

PostPosted: 8/25/11 Thursday, 1:13 am 

I just got out of surgery to have ~100 lipomas removed (literally, about 5 hours ago), but it's something I've been researching for years in preparation for dealing with them so I think I can answer most of your questions. (This only applies in the U.S., but I see you're also in California so it should be accurate for you).

Quote:

Due to the number and size of some of my lipomas the surgery was done under general anesthesia. There's a limit to how much local anesthesia you can receive before it becomes potentially dangerous, so if you only have a few they can be removed under local, but as many as I had made that impractical. In the past I had a couple removed under local and that wasn't bad, the novocaine burns a little when it goes in but after that you don't feel any pain, just pressure.

Quote:

This all depends on the number, size and location of the lipomas, some are more complicated than others. My surgery was scheduled for 2.5 hours, it actually took about 4. Lots of suturing!

Quote:
Outpatient?

Minor so far, but I'm taking Vicodin (one every six hours) so I'm not feeling much of anything!

Quote:

Total cost for mine was $3800, including the anesthesiologist and facilities. I tried to find insurance that would cover it but had no luck (Kaiser, United Healthcare, Blue Shield, others). Your doctor might be able to convince them that it's a necessary procedure, but that seems to be pretty tough to do. It can't hurt to try though, assuming your dr. is willing.

Quote:
What was recovery time?

My doctor scheduled me to get my stitches out in a week, and he said I should be pretty much back to full capacity in two weeks. I tend to heal fast, so hopefully it won't take even that long.

Quote:
Did you have much pain?

None during the procedure (I was out cold) and so far only minor discomfort. I'll try to remember to post an update in a few days and let you know how I feel then.

As far as scarring goes, I've been living with the lumps for 15 years and they keep getting bigger, so I won't mind the scars. I'm lucky in that I don't develop obvious ones, but if you're prone to keloids or obvious, dark scars I can see how they might be a problem and you might want to try one of the newer alternate treatments first. Personally, I don't care if I end up looking like I lost a fight with a weed-wacker, I'm just glad the lumps are gone.

PostPosted: 8/25/11 Thursday, 3:34 am 
Rich, thanks!

I probabaly have about 100 or more lipomas. I've tried counting them but I come up with diff count each time.
: (

Did you have any lipomas that were deep under the skin, like in the thigh area?

Any removed from thighs or legs?
If so, how do they look?

I dont have medical insurance but might be able to save up enough for what you paid.
I wonder how to find a good surgeon and also talk price?

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

PostPosted: 8/25/11 Thursday, 5:52 am 

Congrats on your surgery, Rich. I hope you heal quickly and get the results you want. The fact that you were here posting 5 hours after is very encouraging. Thanks for all the info.

Additional question: since you had so many done... was there an incision for every single lump? Or were they able to reach multiple thru a single incision?

I like your comment about the weed wacker. I figure if I get lots of scars I'll tell people "you should see the other guy." LOL.

PostPosted: 11/9/11 Wednesday, 11:49 pm 
Do you know the total weight of the 100 lipomas they took out?
Do they mark out the lipomas before hand or just feel their way around the body?
Are you able to opt out of biopsy test or is that cost included?
Are they able to do front of leg then turn you over then do back of leg?

Gone in 30 Seconds: A Quick and Simple Technique for Subcuta
PostPosted: 7/26/12 Thursday, 3:31 am 
Regular

Number of lipomas: 61-100
FYI: This was recently posted to some medical sites. Probably best practice for lipoma removal.
And there is a video at the web page

Quote:
Gone in 30 Seconds: A Quick and Simple Technique for Subcutaneous Lipoma Removal

Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery:
July 2012 - Volume 130 - Issue 1 - p 236e–238e
doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3182550439
Viewpoints
Gone in 30 Seconds: A Quick and Simple Technique for Subcutaneous Lipoma Removal
Rao, Samir S. M.D.; Davison, Steven P. D.D.S., M.D.

Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C. (Rao)

DAVinci Plastic Surgery, Washington, D.C. (Davison)

Correspondence to Dr. Rao, 3800 Reservoir Road, NW, 1 PHC, Washington, D.C. 20007 samirrao@gmail.com

Supplemental digital content is available for this article. A direct URL citation appears in the text; simply type the URL address into any Web browser to access this content. A clickable link to the material is provided in the HTML text of this article on the Journal's Web site (http://www.PRSJournal.com).

Back to Top | Article Outline
Sir:

Lipomas are the most common soft-tissue tumors1 and a common reason for referral to plastic surgeons. In efforts to minimize and conceal scars, plastic surgeons have developed a number of techniques to modernize lipoma removal. Some of these techniques include endoscope-assisted lipoma removal, suction-assisted lipoma removal, minimal-incision lipoma removal, and remote-incision lipoma extraction.2–5 All of these techniques appear to be successful in lipoma removal, with very low complication and recurrence rates. However, some of these techniques require additional equipment and tedious work through small incisions. We favor a fast and simple technique using a manual pressure “squeeze” technique after a small incision is made directly over the lipoma.

Figure. No caption a...
Image Tools
We conducted a retrospective review of all lipoma removals performed by the senior author (S.P.D.) between July of 2008 and September of 2011. The principles outlined in the Declaration of Helsinki were strictly observed in this case series study. Informed consent was obtained from all participants. A formal institutional review board process was not available. Our surgical technique is presented in Video 1. (See Video, Supplemental Digital Content 1, which demonstrates lipoma removal by the squeeze technique, http://links.lww.com/PRS/A521.) The lipoma is first identified by palpation and its margins outlined. The area is then infiltrated with local anesthesia and prepared and draped in the standard fashion. An incision approximately one-quarter to one-third the diameter of the lipoma is then carried down to the lipoma capsule. Without any additional dissection, the lipoma is then “squeezed” out of the incision. In this video, the elapsed time from incision to lipoma extraction is 30 seconds.Over the study period, 140 lipomas were removed in 50 patients using the squeeze delivery technique. Four lipomas were in the face/scalp region, 42 were in the neck/thorax, 20 were in the back/flanks, 10 were in the hips/pelvis, 45 were in the upper extremities, and 19 were in the lower extremities (Table 1). The recurrence rate was 1.4 percent (two of 140). There were no complications or revisions.

Video. Supplemental ...
Image Tools
Table 1
Image Tools
Despite modern advances in lipoma removal, there remains a role for simple excisional techniques. The squeeze delivery technique we use was described by Kenawi in 1995, and since then, the majority of the literature on lipoma removal has focused on minimally invasive techniques with small or remote scars, endoscope-assisted techniques, or liposuction.1–5 Although these newer techniques have been shown to be safe and effective, some require additional setup and equipment that increase the length of the procedure. The squeeze delivery technique through a small incision requires only the most basic instrumentation and can be performed in a very short time, as demonstrated in Video, Supplemental Digital Content 1, http://links.lww.com/PRS/A521.This technique should ideally be performed for subcutaneous lipomas with overlying mobile skin. Deep, intramuscular lipomas often found in the back or shoulder region or multilobulated lipomas may require longer incisions and additional scissors dissection for complete removal. Another drawback of our technique is that a small scar will be present directly over the lipoma, although in most instances the incision can be favorably oriented along skin tension lines.We have demonstrated that the squeeze delivery technique through a small incision is a safe and effective procedure for subcutaneous lipoma removal that can be performed quickly without complications and very low recurrence. It is a simple technique that deserves attention amid an array of modern advances.Samir S. Rao, M.D.Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C.Steven P. Davison, D.D.S., M.D.DAVinci Plastic Surgery, Washington, D.C.
DISCLOSURE

The authors have no financial interest to declare in relation to the content of this article.
REFERENCES

1. Kenawi MM. ‘Squeeze delivery’ excision of subcutaneous lipoma related to anatomic site. Br J Surg. 1995;82:1649–1650.
Cited Here...

2. Pozner JN, Canick LM, Ramirez OM. Endoscopically assisted lipoma removal. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996;98:376–377.
Cited Here...

3. Al-basti HA, El-Khatib HA. The use of suction-assisted surgical extraction of moderate and large lipomas: Long-term follow-up. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2002;26:114–117.
Cited Here...

4. Kargi E, Hosnuter M, Babuccu O, Babuccu B. Lipoma removal with mini incision. Ann Plast Surg. 2002;49:220–221.
Cited Here...

5. Pereira JA, Schonauer F. Lipoma extraction via small remote incisions. Br J Plast Surg. 2001;54:25–27.
Cited Here...

http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Fulltext/2012/07000/Gone_in_30_Seconds___A_Quick_and_Simple_Technique.98.aspx

PostPosted: 9/28/12 Friday, 6:36 am 

I can't believe it's been a whole year since I posted my questions.
Time for an update!
I recently had 2 lipoma surgeries.
Each time 2 lipomas removed.
I'll be going back several more times to have more removed.
Here are the answers to my own questions.
I hope they are helpful to someone.

= Local
= I only had 2 removed each time. The full process was about an hour, but the actual surgery part was about 15 min.
Outpatient?
= Yes
= total cost each time was around $800. Insurance covers a portion.
Not sure yet if doctor will bill me for the difference.
What was recovery time?
= Surgeries were on my forearms and I had full use of my arms immediately.
After the 2nd surgery, I drove myself home. Stitches out after 10 days.
Scars healing nicely.
Did you have much pain?
= None during surgery. Afterwards 3 of the 4 incisions have no pain at all.
One feels kind of like a minor bruise, a little tender but nothing to write home about.

The surgery is probably not for everyone, but for me it is the best thing I've done in a long time.
I am very pleased with the results. I still have a lot more to go, but already feeling better, more confident.

PostPosted: 9/29/12 Saturday, 12:42 am 
How come you only have 2 removed each time instead of a whole bunch at a time?

PostPosted: 9/29/12 Saturday, 4:12 am 

I wanted to do one whole arm at once, but my doctor recommended doing only 2 or 3 at a time.
Doctor wanted to limit how much of the local anesthetic I would get at one time.
Plus doctor thinks that insurance is more likely to cover multiple small expenses rather than one big one.
I thought they would consider it cosmetic only and not cover anything, but so far doc was right.

PostPosted: 3/6/13 Wednesday, 5:46 pm 
I just had one large lipoma removed from my upper right arm. I had local and conscious anesthesia, they put the IV in, when the doctor arrived, he marked my lipoma. I walked back to the operating room, laid down and they started the IV, a half hour later they were waking me up, no nausea, fully awake. I have had minimal pain, they suggested taking my pain meds for the first day for sure, I took none the second day and beyond. This was a day surgery outpatient, slickest thing I've done and my very first surgery ever at age 46. I have two small, small ones on my back that we're leaving but the one on my arm was large and he wanted to make sure it wasn't a liposarcoma instead.....everything came out good.

PostPosted: 3/8/13 Friday, 1:02 am 

That's local sedation, great - you wake up and it's done. You don't feel the local anesthesia.
How much did your insurance pay them (if you are in US)?

PostPosted: 3/19/13 Tuesday, 7:47 am 
I am 26 male .
I have got about 40+ Lipomas in my forearms, thighs and in the back rib area.

I got removed one of them for biopsy 2 years back from my right thigh. It was one of the biggest I got, sizing about 2 inches. The scar is still there, but its better to have a scar than to have a Lipoma itching now and then. now I am planning to remove all more Lipomas from my both thighs (where I have got clusters of Lipomas).

P.S. I had also one on my left chest (that I thought to be a Lipoma, but doc. diagnosed it s Gynecomastia). I got it removed by surgery, but it left me with a inwardly sinking down skin, making my chest looking much more ugly as compared to before. Doc said that it would soon heal up to become normal, but it never happened..... :( so now I am not afraid of having more scars on my body. I can have as many as required, to get all these Lipomas removed from my body.

PostPosted: 3/19/13 Tuesday, 2:51 pm 

Does your insurance cover the surgery and what are the costs (with or without insurance)?
I assume you are in the US.

PostPosted: 6/19/13 Wednesday, 2:14 pm 

Number of lipomas: 2-10
These things doesn't really related to this question i mean the subject that you have given,I guess there is no relatability of these things with lipoma i guess you better ask this question from a surgeon or someone who had surgery with these disease that can help you in getting the answer of it.