Tune in. Never miss
an important update!
Your Name
Your Email
Lipoma Board

In Search of Best Lipoma Treatment And Cure

What is Lipoma Board? A forum and community offering information, alternative treatments, resources and support concerning lipomas, lipomatosis and other related conditions. Surgery shouldn't be the only option! Lipomas are fatty tumors under the skin. Read more >>

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Triphala

Scars or lumps - finding the balance?
PostPosted: 12/25/15 Friday, 9:16 pm 
Junior

Number of lipomas: 11-30
I am aware that some people on this forum have not had surgery because of the possibility of scarring, but I am now getting to the point of frustration because I find surgery to be an unpredictable option when you do choose it. I had a very small pea size lipoma on the back of my forearm and planned to expect one or two stitches.

However, the surgeon went in deep to pull out what looked like a long thin lipoma and I have ended up with 5 stitches. Given the choice I would have told the surgeon to just cut the top part of the lipoma off and risk it growing back. At least then I would have had minimal scarring. I wasn't told what was going on during the surgery.

This means I now have three fairly long scars on the underside of my right forearm, and I have other lipomas further up that arm that may need to come out in future.

Anyway, my question is has anyone had a lot of thin scars close together on their arms and found they don't look too bad or noticeable?? I feel like the underside of my right arm is going to become a horrible area to look at.

The only positives are that it is not the top of my arm, and I kept my right arm very still after surgery so the scars are quite thin and should heal well.

The photo shows two new scars and there is an older and wider scar further down.

Attachments:
File comment: Photo of forearm scars
forearm.jpg
forearm.jpg [ 88.11 KiB | Viewed 2352 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Re: Scars or lumps - finding the balance?
PostPosted: 12/28/15 Monday, 7:42 am 
Lipoma Guru

Number of lipomas: 61-100
Hi, the reason I haven't gone through too many surgeries is that unfortunately my skin doesn't handle cutting too well and I'm left with pretty bad scarring. This varies from person to person and also the location. The only way to really know is to look at your previous scars or go under the knife. Even in the best case scenario scars take usually years to fade.

I'm constantly trying to find the balance - so far I haven't. That's why I'm trying other options than surgery right now. I hope they'll give me time while I wait for better options...

Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!

PostPosted: 12/29/15 Tuesday, 2:16 am 
Junior

Hi Matt, I had your post in mind from some years back where you said you had avoided surgery on your thighs because of scarring. I guess I am doing the same at the moment in various parts of the body.

Interestingly with the forearm I got a very thin scar on the back where the skin is more taut However, it occurs to me that the primary reason for this is that the skin does not give as much under the pressure of the knife when the surgeon is making the incision. I am therefore of the opinion that the width of the scar is still partly down to the surgeon even if it is an area where there is looser skin with fat underneath.

I am also thinking of or looking at other options. It is disappointing to think I will probably never be free of lipomas. Thanks for the board anyway. Still a useful resource. I hope to read your reports on your treatments you are trying.

PostPosted: 12/29/15 Tuesday, 10:13 pm 
Regular

Number of lipomas: 31-60
I was terrified of surgery, so I started removing them myself, the first few were challenging but the results were amazing. I've removed around 15 on my forearms and no one would ever know.

Initially I had a thing in my head about "Risk/Reward" but then realised there was little to no risk, so got every single one of them.

PostPosted: 12/30/15 Wednesday, 9:18 am 
Master Member

Number of lipomas: 0
Hallo,

I had in the past quite often this problem to consider, but in most cases I was waiting to long and the movement or the pain had made for me the decision. From the beginning in 2007 I have used Pure Australian Emu Oil and put it several times per day onto the wound, even when the stitches were not taken out. In 80 % it has worked, the rest was simple to explain. There were two or three times an operation done, and it was not possible that the skin could grow proper together. But even the scare after several months with the oil treated looked better.

There is a very good option to lose your fear See and read the article with picture of an operation I had in 2014 on one of the worst part where you get an operation THE Ankle!!! Read: HOW CAN THE EMU OIL HEAL? WRITTEN IS THE BLOG: http://australian-emuoil-info.blogspot.com.au

I remember how many surgeons had warned me for this operation, but see the healing process!!!
Also I have parts on my body where 10-15 cm long cuttings were done, and you can't find them anymore.
Believe me: It is better to have a scare as getting a second operation on the same place some times later! From my experiences: The wound is then bigger, the risk of cutting through nerves and damage muscle are very high and the healing process much longer. See also the article in www.lipomaaktuell.blogspot.com

Regards

Klaus

PostPosted: 12/30/15 Wednesday, 7:10 pm 
Junior

That looks like a very big scar Klaus. Do you have a photo of it now?? Has it already faded?

I used emu oil many years ago but not for scars. I might consider it. Many people are also recommending bio-oil, or Aloe Vera for treating scars. These are perhaps the most popular treatments. At the moment I am using Jojoba oil and moisturisers as well. I will look at reviews of emu oil and see if I will buy it again. I think the Aboriginal people used it but I do not know much else about it.

Drav, Why didn't you just pay for surgery? Were you trying to save money??

PostPosted: 12/30/15 Wednesday, 10:42 pm 
Regular

Roger78 wrote:
Drav, Why didn't you just pay for surgery? Were you trying to save money??

My biggest scar is 5mm, almost all are now invisible having glued. If I went surgery each scar would be 3-4cm at best and stitched, and i've removed near on 40.

I just did not want 3-4cm scars, I look at some of the surgery pictures and think it's completely unnecessary, I'd class it as a minor operation you could easily do yourself, I think that the procedure most surgeons do is just too much, people just don't want these kind of scars, and its not needed.

PostPosted: 12/30/15 Wednesday, 11:35 pm 
Junior

I find that difficult to judge. In the above photo I was expecting a small lipoma to be removed but it was elongated further down inside the flesh and would probably have been impossible to remove on my own. Your lipomas must be very small because there is no way I would get a one inch long lipoma out through such a small incision.

It's a shame you didn't post the procedures you done on Youtube so we can see what the removals are like. Klaus also made an interesting point about the possiblity of harming yourself with self-surgery, but I don't know how common that is. My sister is a nurse, but I doubt she would be happy to help me do it.

As it happens it just occurred to me that a very small scar I have is about 5mm. That was done by a doctor and only needed one stitch. It is barely visible in the photo above - about one inch up from my elbow.

PostPosted: 12/31/15 Thursday, 10:03 am 
Regular

I considered doing a youtube video, but it was impractical as I do this on my own sometimes one handed and only have a camera phone. I think I would need a gopro or something strapped to my head or other device. If someone has a large lipoma in or around Colchester that they want removed with minimal scaring and a little bit of bruising pop round anytime!

I did take some video but was only of the lipoma hanging out from my arm below. From memory it came out in 3 sections, it was long, it was very noticeable and scar is now not noticeable. I did more squeezing then cutting in this one, i now do more cutting that squeezing.

Attachment:
File comment: arm
arm.jpg
arm.jpg [ 124.81 KiB | Viewed 2159 times ]

I fully accept this is not for everyone, but I found myself becoming fully aware of my lipoma's and I did not want to play sport or go swimming etc., etc., I became very self conscious, but that's gone now.

To be honest I don't know what I would have done, as year on year more arrived.

PostPosted: 1/1/16 Friday, 7:45 am 
Master Member

Number of lipomas: 0
Dear Rodger 78
I will ask the person to get me a photo from today. Only what I know is that the wound took long time -not to heal- but to get out all the reminder to make sure that there will be no haematoma.
I made my comments to the "self-surgeon", and I can only warn everybody to do even the smallest cut. Infections are everywhere , and nobody have the experiences if something will come up later. We talked before about to loose parts of the LT, depending of the type of LT, and if that is happen, which nobody knows, than "his/her operation" was useless, because a new LT will grow. It isn't the money, it is the protection of the person himself not to do things, from which he/she has no experiences, it is up to everybody to make his/her decision!

You can see a new picture on the blog: http://lipomaaktuell.blogspot.com
"Lt operation and start treatment......"

PostPosted: 1/1/16 Friday, 11:00 am 
Regular

Attachment:
20160101_104657.jpg
20160101_104657.jpg [ 208.28 KiB | Viewed 2111 times ]

After a year an a half this is what my arm now looks like. You should be able to make out tiny scars. However the one I did above has pretty much vanished.

PostPosted: 1/4/16 Monday, 6:05 pm 
Junior

That looks great Drav. I'm glad you are free of the psychological side of it. That lipoma you took a photo of looks the same as the one I had removed, only I ended up with a long scar. I am sure you are good at this stuff but I guess I am a bit squeamish. Incidentally I am from London, but had the last two lipomas removed in Colchester.

Is that a blood vessel attached to the lipoma?? If so where did you cut it and what was the bleeding like?

Did you remove even the lipomas that were not visible to other people?

I have others on my forearm that I know are there, but are not visible. I am not planning to remove them unless I win the lottery.

Klaus, I don't know what medial opinion is on the recurrence of lipomas due to the whole lipoma not being removed. From what I was reading a few days ago if the capsule can be burst then the body will get rid of the lipoma - however, that might be after injections of laser treatment of the lipoma. I don't actually know.

Yes, I seen your photo already. How has that long scar healed? Is it visible now?

PostPosted: 1/4/16 Monday, 8:50 pm 
Regular

I had 2 that really bothered me, I had 6 that were noticeable. I had my first on my thigh when I was 13, I'm now mid 40's so I lived with them for 30+ years.

Its not a blood vessel, the Lipoma's tend to be attached to tissue. I will alter incision site to stay away from any blood vessels, only done this once.

I removed all the large noticeable ones, then over the next year and a half removed all of them. The thing is when I find one I kinda can't leave it alone, so Ill give it a squeeze get an idea of the shape size are and think about the best way to remove it, then within a day its gone.

I even got a few that were on my lower back, I had to wait a year, dropped a few stone and was able to get to them.

The thing that most surprised me was this, in your mind you think that there would be pain, but there is actually none.

PostPosted: 12/23/16 Friday, 1:01 am 
Junior

Number of lipomas: 2-10
drav has done 5 for me Roger - ive posted on the forum here with pics - he really can get an inch lipoma out of a 3mm hole - the one i had on my arm looked quite similar to above and he got it out in minutes, drav is correct its minimal scarring and with my abs where we did 4 - ive had no scarring at all and they were big.. Drav thanks again mate!!!! matt

PostPosted: 3/5/17 Sunday, 3:36 pm 
Master Member

Where do you guys buy the glue? I might give it to my surgeon next time I go to him since I think it might be better than stitches he uses.

@Drav, how do you cut the ones that you can't reach? I for example am not necessarily scared of cutting them myself, I just have a surgeon that gives me massive discount and I figure he knows this stuff better than me AND he can get the ones on my back which I can't physically get to.