Tune in. Never miss
an important update!
Your Name
Your Email
Lipoma Board

An Ongoing Search For Lipoma Treatment And Lipoma Cure

What is Lipoma Board? A forum and community offering information, alternative treatments, resources and support concerning lipomas, lipomatosis and other related conditions. Surgery shouldn't be the only option! Lipomas are fatty tumors under the skin. Read more >>

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Triphala

Print view | E-mail friend

Seventeen year old with small, painless lump on leg
PostPosted: 5/10/12 Thursday, 10:24 pm 

Number of lipomas: 1
Hello,

I am a seventeen year old male, and I have a small, painless, firm lump on my left leg, near my shin, about the size of a thumb print. I noticed the lump about two days ago, and it hasn't changed very much. It might have gotten a little smaller, or maybe it was just my nerves that made it seem bigger than it was the other day. It doesn't move, and there is no skin discoloration. It's only noticeable when I squat or flex my leg muscles, but otherwise it's hard to feel or see. But when I can feel it, it's a very prominent difference between the shape of the muscle and the mysterious lump. I have never had anything like this before, but some of my family members have had fatty cysts or lumps that appear and disappear on their body. I, however, have never had anything like this appear and it is kind of scaring me. I looked up what it could be, and came up with either a lipoma or soft-tissue sarcoma. I'm making a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Another weird thing about this, it almost feels like it changes texture with the tension of my legs (softer when my leg is relaxed, harder when flexed) but that wouldn't that mean it was some kind of muscular issue? I have put my legs through a little bit more strain than usual within the past few weeks, and even jumped off a barn roof, but if it was trauma related, I imagine there would be some pain or bruising.

I hope my description is clear enough. Many thanks to all who respond.

Report this post
 Profile Send private message  

Re: Seventeen year old with small, painless lump on leg
PostPosted: 5/11/12 Friday, 10:57 am 
Regular

It doesn't sound like your most typical lipoma to me, but I'm not really 'experienced' enough to say whether something sounds like a lipoma or not. It's a good idea to get it evaluated by a doctor just in case. :) Please tell us what it is after you've found out! It sounds a bit like what I have on my thigh, although I'm yet to get it evaluated and won't have time until after next week, so I'm very curious to hear what your doctor says about your case.

I've had my mysterious bump for a couple of years, but since yours is so 'new', it might just go away on its own and be trauma- or infection-related. In any case, I would recommend showing it to a doctor to rule out soft-tissue sarcoma, which is what I'm going to do as well. But sarcomas are rare, so there's no point in getting worried - chances are it's something harmless.

Report this post

PostPosted: 5/11/12 Friday, 1:25 pm 

Number of lipomas: 1
I'm sorry to hear that you have something mysterious too. Man, our bodies sure do like to freak us out every now and then. Today, I woke up and the mysterious lump feels a bit softer and maybe ever so slightly smaller.

Another thing I was wondering, if it is a lipoma, does that mean I should expect more to pop up through the rest of my life? It seems that most people who have them have multiple lipomas.

I hope all goes well with your doctor visit, and I'll be sure to post about mine.

Report this post

PostPosted: 5/15/12 Tuesday, 3:04 pm 
Regular

I've always assumed mine is a lipoma because they run in my family, and I do expect to get at least some more as I get older. But since you don't have the same background, it's much harder to say. Even if it turns out a lipoma, I personally wouldn't assume having FML until I've got at least two lipomas (in the case of no family history). And since you've only had that bump for a short while, it might be just trauma-related swelling or whatnot. But please do tell what your doctor says, anyway. :) I'll try to have mine checked out next week.

Report this post

PostPosted: 5/21/12 Monday, 6:14 am 
Master Member

Number of lipomas: 61-100
Hi samuelh!

Like caribou said it doesn't really sound like a lipoma but it is quite impossible for us to tell. People have many kinds of different lumps and bumps that come and go. Unfortunally lipomas usually don't go :(

Sometimes cysts tend to stay as well.

The best thing to do is to have a doctor to look at it. They can't be 100 % sure without a biopsy but most of the time they are able to diagnose it just by touching it.

I hope it's not a lipoma but even if it is it doesn't mean you will develop more of them. Most people don't.

Please share what you found out! Thx!

Matt has dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. Has tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. Open to any bit of information. Matt's lipoma prevention supplements. Matt uses Emu oil for scars. Latest test with Triphala.

Report this post