Tune in. Never miss
an important update!
Your Name
Your Email
Lipoma Board

In Search of Best Lipoma Treatment And Cure

What is Lipoma Board? A forum and community offering information, alternative treatments, resources and support concerning lipomas, lipomatosis and other related conditions. Surgery shouldn't be the only option! Lipomas are fatty tumors under the skin. Read more >>

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Triphala

Is this a lipoma?
PostPosted: 12/30/15 Wednesday, 3:10 pm 
Hi! I just found a lump on my leg, and I was wondering if it could be a lipoma? What do you guys think based on this video?

https://youtu.be/UIu_OfAnKXI

Additional info: I can't actually feel anything unusual when I touch the area, I can't feel a mass or anything like that. It's not red and doesn't hurt. The bump doesn't actually move when I move the area around. I could even think it was just part of the bone, but it doesn't really look like that? Can lipomas of this size usually be felt clearly like a mass under the skin?

My family has a history of lipomas, so it would fit the picture. I'm a 28-yo female, no previous lumps.

Thanks. :)

Re: Is this a lipoma?
    PostPosted: 1/1/16 Friday, 11:20 am 
    Could anyone help me out? I noticed I have more smaller ones below that one, and one on my right leg too!

I'm starting to think they could be lipomas? If it seems unlikely, I may have to go to a doctor to figure out what they are. :( Lipomas do run in my family, so it's pretty plausible in that sense.

Interestingly, they're all on top of my tibias. Haven't found bumps elsewhere. When I palpate them, I can't really feel like anything that stands out, but it doesn't really feel like it's bone (--> soft tissue? --> lipomas?). Other options that come to mind are some kind of scarring from trauma (I hit my legs occasionally into things, but haven't really noticed anything recently) or some other kind of tumour. Or varicose veins, which I have got in the last couple of years, but I would think they would then get smaller when I lift my legs up, which they don't.

They don't move when I move the skin around (like in the video), and I can't seem to move them around at all, but not sure.

Could these be lipomas in your opinion?

PostPosted: 1/1/16 Friday, 11:48 am 
    Regular

Number of lipomas: 31-60
    IMO, if it was a lipoma you would feel a mass, like a lump of gristle under the skin, if lipoma they should move. From what you have said I don't think they are. Think you should see a doctor.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: 1/1/16 Friday, 11:59 am 
    Drav wrote:
    IMO, if it was a lipoma you would feel a mass, like a lump of gristle under the skin, if lipoma they should move. From what you have said I don't think they are. Think you should see a doctor.

Thanks for your reply, Drav! It's so good to hear someone's opinion who actually knows what lipomas feel like. I've just been guessing with my husband for the past two days.

I think I can feel like a tiny smooth cushiony thing in the largest bump right on top of the bone (they're all right on top of the shin bone), but only if I really focus on it. They look like my family members' lipomas to me, but I would think I could feel them up better by hand? Or maybe they're still so small they're harder to feel.

I think I'll get an appointment with a doctor just to be sure. :) Just feel like a bit of a hypochondriac if they turn out lipomas. They're all very unnoticeable and small, I just picked the angle of lighting in the vid and photo where they stand out the most.

PostPosted: 1/1/16 Friday, 10:44 pm 

Number of lipomas: 61-100
    If it's not a lipoma it wouldn't have a defined border when you squeeze the surrounding tissue.
    If you have mosquito type of bumps then they are not lipoma.
    When it's so small, doctor doesn't even bother with it. Sometimes they would take years to grow any bigger, and in certain age they sprout like spring grass.

PostPosted: 1/2/16 Saturday, 5:18 pm 
    fb88 wrote:
    If it's not a lipoma it wouldn't have a defined border when you squeeze the surrounding tissue.
    If you have mosquito type of bumps then they are not lipoma.
    When it's so small, doctor doesn't even bother with it. Sometimes they would take years to grow any bigger, and in certain age they sprout like spring grass.

Sorry, I didn't quite understand. Are you saying that my bump looks like a lipoma or that it doesn't look one?

They don't feel like they have defined borders when I palpate them, but when I look at them in a specific light, they kind of look like they do? If that makes any sense. I'm still not sure what to think of them.

PostPosted: 1/2/16 Saturday, 5:28 pm 
    Has anyone here got a lipoma in the same place (right on top of the tibia bone) by any chance? :D What does it feel like, if I may ask? Can you feel its borders easily and it's an easily felt lump etc? Or can it sort mend in the surroundings?

Right now I would describe my lumps as what I'd imagine swelling in bone to feel like - but they're not painful (like after trauma or fracture etc) and I think they look just like lipomas. So I don't really know if they could be lipomas or something else.

PostPosted: 1/3/16 Sunday, 1:05 pm 
    Regular

Have you tried icing them?

PostPosted: 1/3/16 Sunday, 5:22 pm 
    Drav wrote:
    Have you tried icing them?

Nope. They don't hurt, so it hasn't crossed my mind. Might try it though.

I'll try to get an appointment next week to show them to a doctor. I got an idea that it might be just "scars" in the shin bone from blows and such over the years (or even fairly recent hits), but I don't know if that's likely. I don't have splint shins or anything like that though. Could still be lipomas in my opinion.

PostPosted: 1/4/16 Monday, 8:01 am 
    Master Member

Number of lipomas: 0
    Hi rosebud.

please don't follow up the info some guys gave you. Don't rub the place, because I can see on the video the lump is not moving. Leave it. If you want to be 100 % sure have an ultrasound. Otherwise keep an eye on it. If it starting to hurt you, get movement problems etc. take the ultrasound to surgeon.

In the past I had on both thighs several LT.

Klaus

PostPosted: 1/4/16 Monday, 11:22 am 
    Regular

Yes resist the temptation not to touch it a thousand times a day! Easier said than done. As SOME GUYS have said.....

PostPosted: 1/8/16 Friday, 10:04 am 
    I showed the biggest bump to a doctor the other day (I was there for something else, so I didn't go into that much detail). She said it felt like a bruise. Although it doesn't hurt and there is no discoloration of skin, and I don't remember any recent trauma. But maybe I'll have to monitor these things for a month or so and then go to a doctor again. I've been cycling the past few months and occasionally hitting my legs into pedals and getting bruises on my legs, so I can't outrule a trauma-related injury, although they haven't changed in size during the week or so that I've been monitoring them. I guess they would then be bruises in the bone or such? At least the doctor didn't seem worried, which was a relief.

I do still think they look like lipomas and could be them, but I guess a doctor would've been able to identify a lipoma?

PostPosted: 1/10/16 Sunday, 12:36 pm 
    Master Member

Number of lipomas: 0
    Hi rosebud, keep an eye on it for a longer time, as LT are not growing fast. If you feel any problem or pain, speak to your GP and ask your an ultra sound. This will give you a clear picture is or isn't a LT

PostPosted: 3/11/16 Friday, 8:43 am 
    Hi

Did you go to the Dr to find out what it is? I have the very same thing as you and just wondering what it could be :-(

PostPosted: 3/11/16 Friday, 4:14 pm 
    mich wrote:
    Hi

Did you go to the Dr to find out what it is? I have the very same thing as you and just wondering what it could be :-(

Hi!
    I haven't been to the doctor since the first time (the doctor said it looked like a bruise, but it should've gone by now if it was and it hasn't). It hasn't changed so far. I think it's probably scar tissue or some injury to the periosteum or something like that from bumping my legs. It seems to be relatively common to have somewhat bumpy tibias anyway. But I'm still keeping an eye on it, and might bring it up next time I visit the doctor's.

PostPosted: 7/5/17 Wednesday, 8:20 am 

Hi, did you ever find out what these were?
    I've had exactly the same for several years now and although they dont hurt to touch, they do hurt when I walk upstairs.
    The GPs just shrug and say they're nothing to worry about.