Tune in. Never miss
an important update!
Your Name
Your Email
Lipoma Board

In Search of Best Lipoma Treatment And Cure

What is Lipoma Board? A forum and community offering information, alternative treatments, resources and support concerning lipomas, lipomatosis and other related conditions. Surgery shouldn't be the only option! Lipomas are fatty tumors under the skin. Read more >>

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Triphala

lipoma surgery advice please
PostPosted: 12/5/11 Monday, 6:15 pm 
Junior

I am thinking of doing the surgery on my both forearms to get the evil monsters out. About 20 in total, by a cosmetic surgeon.

I need some advice. I read that, lipomas if they were completley removed without anything left behind, they dont recurr or come back on other articles and health websites.

But some members here who went through the surgeries to remove some, mentioned that they came back years after, like Laura etc

Why? what went wrong, didnt the doctor remove it completely? Or they were completely random and not related to whether or not the patient went through the surgery? Whats the deal?

Matt, did you get the lipomas back in the same spot years after you went through the surgery? please advise?

Profile Send private message  

Re: lipoma surgery advice please
PostPosted: 12/6/11 Tuesday, 12:19 am 
Regular

Number of lipomas: 61-100
I'm working, so this is short answer, for now.
Matt will have better answers for sure.

I had lipomas removed, most didn't come back in those spots.

I have maybe 100 lipomas or more now.

Something in my body causes me to have lipomas.
If I bump into something, I get a lipomas there, usually.
I got on my knees to scrub the floor, I got lipomas on both knee caps.

I recently went through menopause, that is when my lipomas went crazy on me.
before that, I had a few lipomas over a 30 year period.

Some of us have volunteered to be in a study with Darryl, but it hasn't started.
Darryl took some suppliments and incidentally his lipomas went away.

I don't see how this happened but have volunteered for the study.

Having lipomas removed from your arm isn't bad, I had limpomas removed from my arms.
If the surgeon gets the entire lipoma, all of its capsule out, then that one won't come back.

You will probabaly still get new lipomas. Maybe not too bad until you get to middle age, around 50 ish.

My brother had hundreds removed.

I'm not sure I'd like having surgery on the lipomas on my thighs, it woulr probabaly make awful scars, but
I would have it done on my knees and calves.

My arms felt SOO much better after getting the lipomas removed, but I hate it that I am now getting alot of them elsewhere.

It may have to do with how our livers handle fat, or our fat cells handle insult.,
No one really knows but there is a suspected tie to genes

Hang on for more answers from the rest of us, especially from Matt and Klaus

PostPosted: 12/6/11 Tuesday, 4:35 pm 
Yes lipomas will come back, I had one that came back after 8 years, and one that appeared near the old one.

How much is your cosmetic surgeon charging you and you are taking 20 of them out at once?
Is yours about 1/2 inch in size each?
Are you getting local or sedation?

Laura I recently had 2 taken out from my thigh (the scar is 1 inch in size) but it's healing nicely.
I wish there could be some micro needle injection into the center of lipoma to break it up...

PostPosted: 12/7/11 Wednesday, 4:11 am 
Thanks. Can you be more clear please. What do you mean they come back, is it the exact one? or your body chose that location again to store a brand new lipoma.

Because, if it came back, why didnt the other areas that you took, didnt get it back? If it came back why? Did your surgeon not take it out completely?

My lipomas are about the size of a grape. I prefer local because of the risks of general such as DVT, since I recently had varicose veins surgery and i dont wanna go through that route again.

Yes he is gonna take all 20 plus of them, that comes to 16000 Indian rupees, that comes to 370 Canadian dollars. He is a cosmetic plastic surgeon by the way. Excellent deal for me. I will always return to India if I wanted to excise lipomas in the future.

PostPosted: 12/8/11 Thursday, 7:31 am 
Lipoma Guru

Number of lipomas: 61-100
Hi there, and sorry for the late answer!

codename88, I wouldn't worry too much about recurring lipomas. I have had four of my lipomas surgically removed, none have recurred after several years. I have had new ones since but not to the locations where my lipomas were removed.

That being said, it is very possible that lipomas can recurr to the exact spot they were removed. So Laura is kind of right. Luckily it is not too common.

I have few reasons why they might recurr.

1) The lipoma and lipomatous tissue (all tumorous cells) is not completely removed (if the surgeon knows what he or she is doing, it is very unlikely this would happen)

2) There's already a tiny new lipoma under or right next to the lipoma which is being removed. This lipoma will then later on grow and might look like the old lipoma has recurred.

3) This is my own hypothesis but i think it's possible because I have had most of my lipomas occur to the spot of a trauma. When your lipoma gets cut out, a hematoma will occur. This causes inflammation and could cause similar circumstances which originally had the lipoma to appear. Still, this hasn't happened to me yet.

So if you have bothersome lipomas and you don't mind scarring give it a go! I'm very sure they will unlikely recurr. Of course removing them won't stop new ones from appearing but at least you get rid of those current ones.

If I had a lipoma I desperately wanted to get rid of immidiately, I would have it cut out depending on the location. The more thin the skin is in the removal area the more invisible the scar will be. Thighs and upper torso unfortunally have quite a thick skin which in my case atleast leaves nasty scars... :(

Bear in mind also that there are several different removal techniques available, like the minimally invasive technique. Most doctor are not willing to do this mostly because they are taught wrong in the medical school.

There are a few of good threads about lipoma surgery here:
1) How To Shop For A Good Plastic Surgeon
2) Gone in 30 Seconds: A Quick and Simple Technique for Subcutaneous Lipoma Removal
3) How To Deal With Scars

Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!

PostPosted: 12/8/11 Thursday, 2:10 pm 

Also, the type of your lipomas is of extreme importance when it comes to surgery. Lipomas that are hard and strongly encapsulated are very easy to remove completely and they generally dont come back. Lipomas that are soft and tender are harder to remove and there can be small leftovers after the surgery (as matt said).

PostPosted: 12/9/11 Friday, 12:43 pm 
Yesterday I spent 1 hour and 45 mins. in doctor office with a local...doctor trying to remove the Lipoma. It would not come out only little pieces and now I am bandaged with stitches and still a Lipoma that is about 1 and 1/2 inch above my knee. What went wrong?? Can someone please tell me why this would not come out? My doctor has said it's too deep, he's not cutting in any deeper, and now I need surgery. Is this possible or is it that it's attached itself to something else?

PostPosted: 12/9/11 Friday, 7:29 pm 
Did he suggest the possibility of subcutaneous neurofibroma? Sometimes neurofibromas are deep inside which would grow inside the nerve tissue, often mistaken for a lipoma.

PostPosted: 12/9/11 Friday, 11:05 pm 
Regular

im going to thailand in the very near future,

gonna find a surgeon to get out 3 from my left forearm. 1 of them is is a lump and is starting to annoy me when i wear t-shirts... so might as well get them out.... scarring i'm gonn fix with a tattoo over them=D hehe

hoping one day there will be some sorta cure for us.

not to worried about regrowth though... dont really think that is the reason for mutilple lipomas....

PostPosted: 12/10/11 Saturday, 3:21 am 
RE: codename88asguest
No...my doctor did not mention a neurofibroma (sorry can't remember the word you used) but that makes allot of sense. Is it anything that should be removed? It has given me some issues. Thank you so much for your feedback. It concerned me so, for this is the first time I have had to deal with an lipoma...didn't know what they were up until now.

PostPosted: 12/10/11 Saturday, 6:14 am 
Durable...Im having my surgery scheduled for this evening in India. Im Canadian btw. One of the talented cosmetic surgeon is doing it, hope he is gonna give me less scars. Ive also decided to leave the ones tat are too tiny deep inside that can only be felt but cant be seen. I thought removing these would also be nice, the someone mentioend the more deep they are, the severe the scars are gonna be. Im removing at least 15 in total from both my forearms.

Im so nervous about the surgery... :?

@ D.S Neurofibroms are benign as well, but a bit more evil then lipoma. I am not certain that you might have neurofibroma. Dont confuse neurofibroma with the syndrome neurofiromatosis type 1 and type 2. Those are different, dont let doctor Google MD scare you with those pictures. But, multiple neurofibromas are found usually in patients with neurofibramotis type 1, with at least 6 Cafe au lait spot over 0.5 cm sizes. If you dont have these CAL spots, or if you have less than 6 spots then you dont have this syndrome, and even if you did have neurofibroma on your thigh, it wont bother you as much apart from the actual tingling sensation. Neurofibromas can be removed, but usually they are left alone as removing them might cause some neurological issues.

Just ask your doctor about the chances of your lump being neurofibroma.

I havent done biopsy for my lipomas yet, Im gonna know if what I have is lipoma or not this evening. Im so nervous lol

PostPosted: 12/10/11 Saturday, 7:08 am 
Regular

hope your surgury went/goes well.

I've had surgery before and there really isnt much to be worried about... on my arm i had a local injection so i didnt feel a thing.

Why did you decide to do your surgury over in India?

i had my lipomas on my back token out here in sweden by a surgeon.. unfortunaly i got big nasty scars now.. so thats almost just as bad.... on exception that before i was worried about a hug cause then they would usally feel my lumps with there hands.... at least now i dont mind a hug=D

PostPosted: 9/14/12 Friday, 1:25 pm 
Hey Durable...I am back from the surgery. I swear to god I didnt know it was suchhhh an easy process. Taking out a lipoma only takes about taking a leak. Its that simple.

I decided to do it in India, because Canadian doctors and medical system, although may look like free. But, you gotta wait and your family physician should refer you to a surgeon. It just takes time. And it is NOT covered by the insurance no matter how much I try. Some of the procedures in the US are covered by insaurance that are NOT covered by the insurances in Canada.

Besides its wayy too expensive for a general surgeon to get things out for biopsy, let alone a pastic surgeon. Last time I heard, a cosmetic surgeon wanted 800 dollars to take out one lipoma using the punch squeeze method. Just one. If you want to remove like 10, that is ridiculous.

I am basically Indian, I have roots in India. I come here for vacation. I found that many doctors are EXTREMELY talented out there, not just judging how they do simple lipoma excision. But, the major surgeries and success rates are amazing.

I met this cosmetic surgeon who agreed to do it for a package price. that came out 400 Canadian dollars in total. Thats awesome. I removed 13 lipomas in total, all the major ones are gone. Although Im not happy about the 2 lipomas that are still on my right forearm near the wrist. Not very big, not visible..only visible after a hard arms work out. He marked to remove those 2 but at the end he didnt. He said, theyre too small, lets ignroe them. I dont know if its entirely true he said the skin is very thick on the outside of the wrist and it could leave an ugly scar. I said okay. Oh btw the surgery method was, small line incision over it, squeeze em out, and internal dissolving surtures, and then pasted a band aid over the top. Like someone posted as the best method to get minimum scars. AWESOME!! his is why we need to go to a a plastic surgeon.

But overall, I dont think I am going to worry about removing lipomas ever again. I left the ones on my leg and abs alone, saving it for Darryls test.

Durable, I would highly recommend you stop by India and get it done, theyre very good and speak better English than you and I lol

PostPosted: 9/14/12 Friday, 2:27 pm 
Regular

I live in Canada, and have had multiple lipoma surgeries and it is really not a big deal. It is covered by insurance in Canada, just have to make sure to tell your doctor they hurt;). Unfortunately it does leave scarring though, I am sure it is better or worse depending on the doctor. I will likely be getting more surgeries done this fall myself, best of luck.

PostPosted: 9/15/12 Saturday, 3:55 pm 
codename88, how long was the operation to take out the 13 lipomas?
Was there 1 or 2 assistants and was it in a hospital or office setting?
Didn't the numbing injection hurt like a bee sting?
Did the doctor remove 13 lipomas, then suture them all afterwards, or open and suture each one individually?
Did the doctor use cauterizing pen to stop any bleeding?
Did the $400 equivalent cost include biopsy or did you forgo biopsy?
Did you need to have a follow up to the doctor post surgery?
Any rule that you should not be in the airplane x number of days after the surgery?

PostPosted: 9/18/12 Tuesday, 7:38 pm 
I had 67 removed from right leg, hip and lower back in a three hour procedure last week. Plastic surgeon. Roughly 30 incisions.

Three weeks ago I had 150+ removed from my left side (hip, leg, back) in a three hour procedure. Plastic surgeon. Roughly 27 incisions.

This is my second round of procedures. The last round was 2004-2005 and I had upwards of 800 removed from arms, legs and abdomen.

Plastic surgeon every time and general anesthesia.

PostPosted: 9/19/12 Wednesday, 2:31 am 
Todd,
Did you have the procedure done in the USA?
How much do they charge per the 3 hour procedure (before insurance)? Or what cash price?
How big are most of the lipomas? (0.5 to 1 inch?)
Do you forgo biopsy?
How was the pain afterwards with so many incisions? I have some on my butt so I wouldn't be able to sit if I get incision there.

How do they remove 150+ with only 27 incisions??

PostPosted: 10/30/12 Tuesday, 5:34 pm 
Yes, in the USA. I have since had two more procedures. The doctor and insurance company are fighting over how much to pay and as a result the doctor is refusing to schedule another procedure.

Most of the lipomas are small, but many are also large. The doctor submits all for biopsy.

Pain was typical for this amount of work. I had some severe tape burns on my right arm this last procedure.

Some areas of my body have clusters of lipomas, literally 20+ in a small area hence the 150+ with 27 incisions.

I have a load of scars and a load more lipomas. I am estimating all told I have had well over 1,000 removed with well over 300 total incisions.

PostPosted: 10/30/12 Tuesday, 5:37 pm 
Price - good question. Doctor billed far more than he was paid. Total cost through insurance for one procedure is around $10,000. Doctor actually billed $90,000 (wow).

PostPosted: 1/10/13 Thursday, 4:49 am 

Number of lipomas: 2-10
Could anyone recommend a good surgeon in Perth, Western Australia? I have two 4cm lipomas on my forearms and I am not sure my dermatologist is the best option because he wants to do a 2 cm incision. Thank you.