Lipoma Surgery Scarring

Talk about anything and everything related to lipomas and related healthcare issues here.

Moderator: matt

amatiaz
Site Admin

Lipoma Surgery Scarring

Post by amatiaz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I have personally had four of my lipomas surgically removed. All cuts left scars about one inch long. The lipomas were removed about four years ago and all scars are still very visible. One of them is still read on my thigh. I have dozens of lipomas so there is absolutely no way I going to have them removed one by one like this person:
scarring.jpg
Lipoma Surgery Scarring
scarring.jpg (4.79 KiB) Viewed 16130 times
Of course there's always the liposuction option, but I have had new lipomas appearing to the spot I have had hematoma. So I don't think that's a real solution. I'd rather try first the EBOO method and the variety of the injections. I actually had Lipostabil injected three separate times to some of my lipomas but I didn't have huge success with it. It might be that the amount injected was too small or the compound was not sufficient enough.
sjohn

Re: Lipoma Surgery Scarring

Post by sjohn » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:55 pm

There are several products on the market used to remove scarring from such types of surgery... It's the least of your problems really :P
Durable
Regular

Post by Durable » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:00 pm

any products that actually work?
Laura Roslin

Post by Laura Roslin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:47 pm

I had some lipomas removed once by a cosmetic surgeon. (when I had medical insurance).

The scars are nearly invisible. They have faded over time and basically are thin lines.
The surface of my skin is smooth.

I do have one indentation on my right arm where one of the lipomas was rather large.

I believe that to get the best results, you want to get the lipomas removed as soon as possible before they get very large.

At least in my case, the scars from removing the smaller lipomas - are just faint white lines. Hardly noticable.

*I am saving up to get some of the many lipomas removed.
Since I don't have health insurance, I'm a bit leery of getting injections into the lipomas, in case there are side effects or a bad reaction.
matt
Lipoma Guru
Number of lipomas: 61-100

Post by matt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:34 am

Hi, I don't want to sound pessimistic and it might just be because of my skin type but I had 4 of my lipomas cut out three years ago. I'm sorry to say but all scars are very visible. One particularly in the front of my thigh. I had one cut out from my neck and that's the most invisible bynow but the three others which are located in my thighs are very well distinguishable :(

I also used this product (somekind of a lotion) which was supposed to limit the scarring but my product did absolutely nothing. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand but if I come across it later, I'll post it to this thread.
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!
Laura Roslin

Post by Laura Roslin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 am

matt wrote:Hi, I don't want to sound pessimistic and it might just be because of my skin type but I had 4 of my lipomas cut out three years ago. I'm sorry to say but all scars are very visible. One particularly in the front of my thigh. I had one cut out from my neck and that's the most invisible bynow but the three others which are located in my thighs are very well distinguishable :(

I also used this product (somekind of a lotion) which was supposed to limit the scarring but my product did absolutely nothing. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand but if I come across it later, I'll post it to this thread.
Matt, would you mind answering some questions?

what type of doctor removed your lipomas?

Also, were the lipomas small or large?

How long had you had those lipomas?

What type of scarring did you have on your legs?

Did you get keloids?

Were there indentations, in other words like dents in the surface of your thighs- after lipoma removal?

Thanks!
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:58 am

what type of doctor removed your lipomas?
He was a plastic surgeon who I thought at the time, would know how to remove my lipomas with minimal scarring. He gave me no directions whatsoever of how to treat the scars except that I shouldn't get them wet for a week or so and I shouldn't exercise for two weeks.

The cost was around 500 euro but I got the money back from the insurance company after complaining they hurt. Actually just one of them hurt at the time. I sometimes woke up in middle of the night because I felt like someone's stabbing my thigh. I guess it was because the lipoma had been pressing some nerve. Terrible! :)
Also, were the lipomas small or large?
Four lipomas were cut out. Smallest was located in my neck, or throat to be precise. It was the size of an apple seed. Very small but I didn't like it to be there in so visible place. Three others were in my thighs and they were the size a pea to a half grape.
How long had you had those lipomas?
The first one cut out I found when I was 17 years. I was at the time of the cutting around 28. The others had appeared somewhere in between. The one in the throat had been there for just under a year.
What type of scarring did you have on your legs?
Not nice. First it looked like there was not going to be any scarring. The incisions were very nicely done and I was like wow! But when the time passed on I noticed the scars getting wider and wider. Ok of course the experience is indiviual. My scars in my thighs are about 2-3 cm long and maybe 0,5 cm wide. Some might say they are not so bad, I know. But for me they are. The ones which are on the sides of my thighs look more clean than the one in the front of my thigh. They are all still very visible although they've faded a lot. The one in front of my thigh is still reddish. The one in my troath is almost invisible although it was very visible for years because of the thin skin.

I'm not liking the idea I would have to cut out some more of my lipomas... There are dozens, maybe a hundred, lipomas in me.
Did you get keloids?
No, just stretched scars.
Were there indentations, in other words like dents in the surface of your thighs- after lipoma removal?
I didn't develop any indentations although I was afraid of them, and I asked the surgeon would there be a one. He said not to worry since the body has it's ways to fill up any empty spaces. Also my lipomas were very small. But now, I have a little bump, only faintly visible, below the scar in the front of my thigh. There is no lipoma though.
Thanks!
No problemo Laura ;)
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!
Virgin40ia

Post by Virgin40ia » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:49 pm

One of your readers said something about injections. What types are you speaking of. I've never heard of them
Thank you
abs

Post by abs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Do you have any information on where the picture is from
py88

Post by py88 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 am

That picture shows the post surgery that's less than 1 year old. The suture scar will fade away, later you can use spray on tan to cover it if you have fair skin. That's a lot to cut at once though.
gprhillups

Post by gprhillups » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Had one removed from my arm about a year ago. It was about half the size of a golfball. The scar was dark for awhile, but looking at it now, it is barely visible. Since then many more have showed up, older ones got bigger, and some of the have started hurting when touched. The one on my arm cost $1,000 to remove, so no plans to get the others removed with surgery. I hate them.
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 am

Hi there, that $1000 for one lipoma removal is ridiculous! You should be able to find a doctor who will remove ten at that price.

And yes, the sad truth is that traditional incision leaves a nasty scarring. For some it doesn't matter but I have the kind of skin where the scars are well visible after several years. I'm sure if I har my lipomas revoved from my thighs, I'd look like the person in the first post for years, if not a lifetime.

That is not an option for me.

there are more sophisticated excision techniques but they are not widely available yet. One being SmartLipo suction. Of course, it will cost a fortune to have it done since it is most likely not covered by the health insurance. And it's likely you will need a periodic procedure since lipomas will grow back often with liposuction.
Bulgaria

Post by Bulgaria » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 am

Hello guys, just fyi, here in bulgaria exctracting 1 lipoma costs around 30 EURO.. so think about it before u give away such a ridiculous amounts of money for a simple extraction.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 am.