About Me, Matt
Lipoma Remedies
Lipoma Videos
What Is Lipoma
Lipoma Scarring
Lipomatosis Survey
On Facebook

Heavy Metal Poisoning

What treatments are you having success with? Discuss diet, detoxification, alternative treatments, and anything else! This is also the place for the ongoing discussion of liposuction and other surgical techniques.

Moderator: matt

Charlupa

Heavy Metal Poisoning

Post by Charlupa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Has anyone been tested for heavy metals? I will be getting tested as I believe there may be a connection
matt
Lipoma Guru
Number of lipomas: 61-100

Re: Heavy Metal Poisoning

Post by matt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 pm

This will be interesting to know! Someone mentioned long ago in the old forum that one should limit zinc intake in order to minimize lipomas.

But of course there can be other toxic heavy metals involved too, like mercury, lead, cadmium, copper, arsenic, chromium, chromium, cobalt, etc. Even iron in large quantities is poisonous.

And I have to mention again, fungi love heavy metals, especially iron, widely available i.e. in asbestos. Algae, bacteria and fungi and yeasts are all potential metal biosorbents. All these little paths may lead to the same conclusion after all. So far there has not been anything contradicting my Average Joe fungi hypothesis.

Please let us know when you receive the results. :)
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!
laura

Post by laura » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:11 am

what kind of heavy metals do you suspect?

I do have alot of metal fillings in my mouth.

Remember, I'm 52, and most of my teeth were filled during 60s and 70s.
The dentist was putting his daughter through college AND she had horses, so he put shallow fillings
in all of my molars.

Modern dentists looked shocked at my fillings, which were very shallow indeed.
Just covering the top surface of the molars almost.

I think my brother has same situation,(and he has lipomas) but I do not know if my sisters do.
pierre
Regular

Post by pierre » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:37 am

Yes, maybe Laura has a point here.
Most adults have amalgam fillings in some of their teeth:
http://www.google.com/search?pq=silver+ ... a=N&tab=wi

Perhaps people who are genetically prone to lipomas are more susceptible to the mercury in amalgam fillings.

http://www.holisticmed.com/dental/amalgam/
Charlupa

Post by Charlupa » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:15 am

A house that I grew up in tested positive for lead. There is also mercury in vaccines.
Vance

Post by Vance » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:24 am

What a coincidence, I also have amalgam fillings and lipomas.

It is estimaded that around 1% of population experience hypersensitive reactions to mercury and other metals present in dental amalgams.

Lipomas are also seen only in 1% of the population.

:|
pissedoffmeathead

Post by pissedoffmeathead » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:58 am

OMG MATT!! you remembered about the guy who said Limit Zinc. The guy is from Toronto, lucky for us he is a "geneticist" who happens to be in the same boat with us. Its like finding out one of the passengers is an off duty pilot on an abandoned plane trapped in zombieland lol

After the old forum got shot down due to the owners death (I wonder if it is related to lipomas) We lost connection with him. Is there a way we can find his information again, or email address so we can see what he is upto regarding lipomas. I dont know if he is aware of this new lipomaboard.

He had some very valid points about how lipomas work and how they are related to Zinc intake and how we might be able to limit the future births of lipomas by controlling the zinc intake. I believe he was about to co ordinate with the Dercums disease research doctor.

He was from Toronto, thats all I remember and I know nothing about digging the old forums and find his contact info. He was researching about lipomas in cell level by putting in extra hours out of his own interest, although his job was researching something else being a geneticist.
matt
Lipoma Guru
Number of lipomas: 61-100

Post by matt » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:39 am

Hi there!

I'm not sure if you meant this guy who posted about limiting your zinc intake in the old forum. He sounds pretty pro and I think he has since posted something on this board aswell in The Cause of Lipomatosis thread. Sadly, he hasn't yet registered so we cannot contact him.

Then he also posted, in response to Cyn:
Hi Cyn.

I noticed that a few readers had posted that they saw lipomas shrink when they went on certain diets. If you are metabolizing or losing fat I presume it is possible that a lipoma could be “eaten up” too - however a lot of lipomas are encapsulated and separate from the regular fat layers so they are likely not metabolized the same way. Once a fat cell is there it is going to stay there unless it undergoes lipolysis (metabolism etc.). If a diet was low in zinc or contained some other factor(s) which inhibited lipoma cell growth then new lipomas wouldn’t form.

You’re right about “Once you have introduced a cellular genetic change, nothing can switch it back”…. unless you get into gene therapy which is years away from being perfected; especially targeting to fat cells. However, in most lipoma cases, we are dealing with a chromosome translocation which produces a faulty “hybrid” protein which still has a cellular role or pathway that it must function in to exert its effect. Hence, if you know which protein is involved and how the gene or protein is regulated you CAN target it and inhibit or block its function. So yes you CAN stop new lipoma formation. This is the basis of many therapies for other genetic diseases. Find the faulty protein or protein(s) and screen them in a research lab for compounds which specifically inhibit it. So I think there is hope for lipoma research. And this reducing the zinc in your diet thing is probably one of many things which could help….there’s too much evidence pointing to zinc’s role to dismiss it.

By the way, I work in a genetics research lab in Toronto. Unfortunately I don’t work on lipoma research per se so this has mainly been an “in my spare-time” research project.

I should mention that there are quite a few papers now on the regulation of the expression of the HMGA2 gene. They even made a mouse knockout (a mouse lacking only this gene) and the resulting mouse had drastically decreased adipocytes revealing the normal role of HMGA2 in adipogenesis (Arnand and Chada, Nature Genetics, 2000 “In vivo modulation of Hmgic reduces obesity” PMID: 10742101). It is also known that HMGA2 binds the promoters (regions of DNA which regulate the expression of genes) of several adipocyte specific genes including leptin.

In response to your question about decreasing somehow shrinking lipoma size: phosphatidylcholine injections or deoxycholate injections are therapies which have been used to treat or reduce existing lipomas with some success. From the latest literature here is what I know: phosphatidylcholine is a phospholipid which makes up part of the lipids which form the cell membranes of cells. Injections of phosphatidylcholine solubilized with deoxycholate, a bile salt, have been used to reduce unwanted accumulations of fat. Recent in vitro and ex vivo experiments have shown that it is actually the deoxycholate alone which causes the adipocyte lysis .I haven’t read much of the posts on this site but here’s the results of a very interesting paper which addresses this which came out last year. In this study, a total of 12 subcutaneous lipomas in 6 patients were injected with varying concentrations of sodium deoxycholate. The result was that all lipomas were reduced in size (average area reduction 75%) after a mean of 2.2 treatments . These findings support the conclusion that deoxycholate is the major active component of previous formulations used to treat lipomas (the phosphatidylcholine has a lesser effect). (Adam M. et al., Journal of AM ACAD DERMATOL, 2005)

It is of some interest to this whole zinc story that that research has shown that both the carboxyl and hydroxyl groups of deoxycholic acid (deoxycholate) bind zinc ions. Furthermore, Phosphatidylcholine is the main substrate for the hydrolyzing enzyme phospholipase C (PLC) which happens to binds three zinc ions. This the injection of either of these compounds decrease the amount of bio-available zinc in a cell and hence effect HMGA2 regulation which in turn should reduce lipoma formation. I know this is a lot of hand waving at this point but I putting this theory out there so someone can test it.

BTW, currently there are over 2500 scientific research articles relating to the search term “ fatty acid AND somatotrophin” indexed by MEDLINE at the NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... &DB=pubmed). If you see one you really want to read but can’t, I could probably get you the full article provided it was a fairly recent paper. Note: most journals only provide the abstract free of charge. I have full access to most medical journals and most papers in the last five years or so are available as PDF files now.

By the way I am NOT a medical doctor. I am a geneticist so I don't really want to give medical advice to people other than tell them that the scientific research that I have done suggests that TOO MUCH zinc in your diet may be stimulating the lipoma growth. However, please remember that zinc is an essential nutrient for the body. People who carry the translocation that predisposes them to lipoma should definitely not be taking zinc supplements or eating extremely zinc-rich diets. Zinc is present in a lot of foods so in the developed world you're probably getting enough. If you take a multi-vitamin I would take one that has NO zinc.
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!
SM

Post by SM » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:23 pm

He did say he could provide us with research articles if we so wished. So he must check this forum once in a while? In one of the links posted above, he (or someone) uses the username "HMG", which could stand for Human Molecular Gentics?

SM
Russ
Junior
Number of lipomas: 2-10

Post by Russ » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Charlupa wrote:Has anyone been tested for heavy metals? I will be getting tested as I believe there may be a connection
Charlupa, did you ever get tested for heavy metals? If you did, what was the findings? I'm curious if this is a special test one asks for or if it is part of a standard physical blood work. Every year I get a physical done and the biggest part of that for me is they draw blood. My doctor calls me back a couple days later and says it's all good or something is out of whack. I always ask for a copy for my records, and some of it is greek to me, but some of it like, Iron, pottassium, calcium, amongst other stuff, I recognize. But I think most of that stuff on a standard blood draw is minerals, I guess iron would be a metal. So I'm curious as to what test or what one would expect for results on this.

I'm 41 so I had my fair share of silver fillings back in the day but their all gone now, most of the dentists either want them replaced or they just didn't withstand the test of time and they were replaced with composite resin. I always hear though the air we breathe, the toxins, and metals can build up in your body. Guess I don't know enough about it, but I gathered fuels, oils, burnt biproducts, etc we were breathing in as humans but where does metal poisoning come into that?
Charlupa

Post by Charlupa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey Russ,
I did not get tested for heavy metals . I remember reading about connections to lipomas but I dont remember where. I started looking into it when I heard that a child had gotten lead poisoning in the same house that I grew up in. I asked my doctor if my blood test would include a lead test and she said no and that I would already know if I had lead poisoning. Im surprised she didnt try to tell me that lead poisoning is simply hereditary :lol:
FloridaGirl

Post by FloridaGirl » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:35 am

My lipoma started a month after a mercury filling in 2011 (the dentist did not tell me he was using a mercury filling) My dentist was not available and somebody recommended this dentist. Also about the time the lipoma grew, I got a vaccine. All within a period of 2 months. I think there is a connection definitely.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:35 am.